CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Best way to regulate the cool side temp?

Old 08-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Zollowhex
Best way to regulate the cool side temp?

My snake is doing fine, but the cool side of the tank is too cool. what is the best way to manage the cold sides temp? I have a dimmer for the heat lamp, so the hot side is no problem, But what can I do to make the cold side a bit warmer?

It is about 8 degrees too cold.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Thoth
How big/wide is your viv? I can't imagine the usual 20 gallon tank would have that big of a temperature gradient. Then again, I live in LA, so it's always pretty hot here anyway.

Do you have a UTH (under-tank heater)? That would probably work a lot better. Since heat rises, I'd imagine that if your heat source comes from above (the lamp), the heat would stay up there. A UTH would heat from below, so most of the heat would stay on the substrate, and some would radiate out to the rest of the viv.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
ssmith_1187
I too have the same problem of the “cool” side being too cool.

I personally use an Exo-Terra 100W Ceramic Heat Emitter. I have it hooked up to a Spyder Robotics Heprstat II thermostat, whiiiiiiich is probably overkill but the 2 keep my cool side rock steady at 75 degrees and Roxanne seems happy.

Regards,
Steve

Old 08-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Zollowhex
I got a 20 gallon. I got a UTH, along with a lamp. But I am only using the lamp, I plan to use the UTH during winter.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
ssmith_1187
The key is to establish a temperature gradient across the width of your enclosure.

Mid 70’s on the cool side to mid 80’s on the warm side is what is most commonly recommended, with secure hides in both ends.

Another factor to consider is the source of the heat. Belly heat is more beneficial to a snake than say heat from a source above them (ceramic heat emitter, infrared bulb, etc.). It helps aid with digestion which is key to a happy and healthy snake.

Regards,
Steve

Old 08-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Corny Noob
You say it's about 8 degrees too cold, but it's a varying tempature anyway so I'm not quite sure how cold is too cold.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google