CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

I am so easily distracted. Almost didn't see this EDB...

Old 08-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Rich Z
I am so easily distracted. Almost didn't see this EDB...

I had my Nikon D850 out to take photos of some flowers, so I was walking around the house looking for photo opportunities. When I walked around back, I noticed a black racer that ducked into some plants alongside the enclosed back porch. So I walked over to the crepe myrtle in back of the house to take some photos of the lower hanging flower bunches. When I was done, I walked back to those plants the black racer had dived into and while looking for the racer, almost didn't see this guy sitting there.

Since he was so close to the house and both Connie and I have been out working on clearing the underbrush around the house lately, I figured we needed to relocate him so we wouldn't accidentally step on him. So while I kept an eye on him, Connie went and got a five gallon bucket and my old trusty Furmont snake hook. It took a little bit to pick him up, as he just did not want to stay on that hook, and I had to chase him around a bit, but eventually did get him into the bucket. I'm guessing he was around 2.5 ft. in length, give or take. Never even buzzed once or in any way acted irate at me being there. Never coiled up, just wanted to boogie on away from the crazy guy with that metal hook thingie. So we took him for a ride and let him go out in the boonies away from people.

Been a long time since we've seen any rattlesnakes around here, but I guess they have always been somewhere nearby. We don't mind them around here, but sure wouldn't want to get an accidental bite from one being too close to the house. This one was real close to the pool pump, and Connie goes back there often to turn the pump and cleaner on and off.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
We have some big ones here in my area. A friend of mine last summer killed a 7 foot Timber Rattler in his yard. I scolded him for killing it, but he's one of those kinds of folks that says "The only good snake is a dead snake."

Those are some good pictures and I commend you for relocating him and not killing him.

We actually have a law here in Tennessee, It's illegal in Tennessee to kill snakes. Period. It doesn't matter what kind, it's still illegal. But people still do it and they get away with it.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Twolunger
Yikes, the old Furmont came in handy again. I'm real cautious working around the flowers and bushes here.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Rich Z
So today Connie and I were out cleaning up some branches and brush I had cut down the other day, and I noticed a stick that I didn't remember seeing there a few minutes ago. Gray rat snake just cruising around. This was alongside the house near the bird feeders, so I figured he would be up to no good. Gave me a little bit of a chase, so I had to grab him near the tail to keep him from going underneath the house. He didn't get upset at all. Just a bit wiggly wanting to be on his way. He was about 3.5 ft. long, I believe. Never tried to nip the entire time, and matter of fact, while Connie was trying to locate a snake bag to put him in so we can take him for a ride to relocate him, I think he fell asleep in my hands.

Sure seems like the snakes are on the move around here.

Sorry, no photographs this time.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Kalista
Those are fantastic photographs. I love the detail on the last one! I am totally envious of your skills (and camera). Thanks for sharing, Rich!

Old 08-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
Nanci
So lucky! I hope he stays safe.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
So today Connie and I were out cleaning up some branches and brush I had cut down the other day, and I noticed a stick that I didn't remember seeing there a few minutes ago. Gray rat snake just cruising around. This was alongside the house near the bird feeders, so I figured he would be up to no good. Gave me a little bit of a chase, so I had to grab him near the tail to keep him from going underneath the house. He didn't get upset at all. Just a bit wiggly wanting to be on his way. He was about 3.5 ft. long, I believe. Never tried to nip the entire time, and matter of fact, while Connie was trying to locate a snake bag to put him in so we can take him for a ride to relocate him, I think he fell asleep in my hands.

Sure seems like the snakes are on the move around here.

Sorry, no photographs this time.
I think the snakes are trying to tell you something. Maybe it's time you got back in the thick of it with a few pair? I'll bet a few of your friends would be glad to help you out with a restart.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:27 AM   #8
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I think the snakes are trying to tell you something. Maybe it's time you got back in the thick of it with a few pair? I'll bet a few of your friends would be glad to help you out with a restart.
Not likely. I think I got out of it at a good time. And honestly, I really like not having to worry about something dying for one reason or another. Connie and I went YEARS without having any sort of real vacation, so basically now, every day is a vacation day for us.

30 years doing that sort of thing was enough, I guess.

I guess we aren't going to Expo this year, neither. Connie asks me every year, and I try to come up with a good reason to go, but just can't think of any. It used to be fun when all the people here had a get together at the show, but that too has gone away.

Just seeing the critters wandering around on our property is just fine. I don't have to take care of them, just sometimes keep them out of trouble.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Twolunger
I know what you mean about the lack of vacation time. Our honeymoon was the last vacation we spent together. Besides all the reptiles, I had 200 Birmingham Rollers that I flew in competition. Believe it or not there's world wide competition in flying performing pigeon kits.

I told Sue I don't know how I had time to go to work and then care for all the rest of the stuff, plus a small herd of cattle and flock of sheep. LOL.

When my grandson came to stay with us this summer he said we live in a giant vivarium down here. He was in total awe seeing all the lizards and snakes here.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #10
DeuceRon
Wow! Great pictures indeed! I probably would have ran about five miles before slowing down.
Definitely no need to kill 'em.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google