CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Feeding too small of an item?

Old 10-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
xStaticSnow
Feeding too small of an item?

Please forgive my rookie question, but this is my first time feeding a hatchling corn and I guess I'm feeling paranoid. I fed my 11g corn a pinky last night. The pinky was on the smaller side but definitely not a red. After feeding, the snake had a visible bulge, but nothing too large. It's been about 16 hours and I just peeked at him to see how he's doing and his bulge is 100% gone. Do you think I'm feeding a prey item that's too small? Since I just have one single snake now I was planning on just getting my feeders from the pet store rather than doing a big online order until he's big enough to be on adult mice (I also have very limited freezer space, so that's a huge obstacle). But that means I'm at the mercy of whatever size pinkies Petco/Petsmart has for sale.

The breeder who produced my snake told me he's been eating once per week and I think he has a good body condition for a hatchling. He was hatched August 8th so he's about 7 weeks old right now. Is 11g at 7 weeks seem like a good weight? Should I stick to the single pinky once per week until he's big enough to take either double pinkies or a fuzzy? Or, should I be thinking about feeding on a 5 day schedule? Thanks for any input!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Twolunger
If you are feeding pinkies up to 3 grams I'd feed every 4 or 5 days. I like to get my hatchlings moved up to fuzzies as soon as possible. Some recommend cutting the backbone of the pinkies in a few places to facilitate digestion. I do that for my very small hatchlings.

The 11 gram weight sounds good for a 7 week old, but a lot depends upon the hatching weight. I've had some this year that hatched at barely 4 grams, from a first time laying female. At 7 weeks old they are 9 grams, while I had some hatch at 7 or 8 grams, and were 14 or 15 grams when sold.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
if your snake weighs 11 grams as you stated, you can feed a pinky that weighs about 1.2 to 1.4 grams. Best thing to do is weigh the snake and weigh the food item. A baby snake can eat about 12% of its body weight in food every 5 days. As it gets older and bigger, you can decrease the food item to 10% body weight every 7 to 10 days. And finally when the snake is full grown (about 3 to 4 years) you will feed 1 mouse weighing about 30 to 35 grams every 14 to 21 days.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
xStaticSnow
Thank you both for your helpful answers! I'll start weighing the pinkies after I thaw them and figure out where to do from there

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google