CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Calling All Lurkers

Old 01-31-2019, 11:52 PM   #71
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually I did decide to close it down on 02-02-2020, after I gave the paying members there 1 year with exclusive access to the BOI. But one of my moderators convinced me to instead, wait and see how things go. Honestly, I don't think it will make a difference, as too many people have left there, and I am not willing to keep on taking on the liability of a frivolous nuisance lawsuit from what other people post there without substantial support from the community.

It would be nice to be proven wrong in this instance, but I seriously doubt it will happen.

If I had the kind of liability here that I have there, this site would already be gone.
If/when you decide this site is no longer worth holding onto, would you be willing to hand over the reigns to someone else?

Old 02-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #72
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
If/when you decide this site is no longer worth holding onto, would you be willing to hand over the reigns to someone else?
There are a few of us who'd be willing take it over so it doesn't have to disappear.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:36 AM   #73
KellC
I’m so sad about the possibility of losing these forums. I found fauna because someone reccomended BOI as a must read before choosing a snake breeder. I found this site and I was so happy to find people that are long time corn snake lovers, breeders and owners.

I’m on the border of the millenial gen though, so I understand why many people don’t look past the social media apps or the pet-tubers of YouTube. It’s a very instant gratification medium. One that is already in use for other aspects of your daily life. Many of us already use YouTube or Facebook on the daily, so options for updating or responding to the reptile community is right in our faces.

Whereas CornSnake Forums and Fauna are very specialized, you have to actively seek out the website to read what’s new, and be reminded to respond. It is bound to be a slower community.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:50 PM   #74
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellC View Post
I’m so sad about the possibility of losing these forums. I found fauna because someone reccomended BOI as a must read before choosing a snake breeder. I found this site and I was so happy to find people that are long time corn snake lovers, breeders and owners.

I’m on the border of the millenial gen though, so I understand why many people don’t look past the social media apps or the pet-tubers of YouTube. It’s a very instant gratification medium. One that is already in use for other aspects of your daily life. Many of us already use YouTube or Facebook on the daily, so options for updating or responding to the reptile community is right in our faces.

Whereas CornSnake Forums and Fauna are very specialized, you have to actively seek out the website to read what’s new, and be reminded to respond. It is bound to be a slower community.
I know there's a handful of people that would be willing to take over if/when Rich decides he doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

I mentioned it above, but I don't know if Rich saw that or not.

FB will never have the usefulness that a specialized forum like this has.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #75
Twolunger
Quote:
I know there's a handful of people that would be willing to take over if/when Rich decides he doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

I mentioned it above, but I don't know if Rich saw that or not.

FB will never have the usefulness that a specialized forum like this has.
Why don't you send him a private message to see what his intentions are? It's very hard giving up a labor of love. If someone else took the forum over how does the person intend to get more active participation? If there are good ideas from this handful of members why aren't they suggesting them now while the forum is still active? I read some of the excellent posts from just 5 or 6 years ago, and those members are either lurkers or just dropped off the forum. Quite a shame.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #76
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Why don't you send him a private message to see what his intentions are? It's very hard giving up a labor of love. If someone else took the forum over how does the person intend to get more active participation? If there are good ideas from this handful of members why aren't they suggesting them now while the forum is still active? I read some of the excellent posts from just 5 or 6 years ago, and those members are either lurkers or just dropped off the forum. Quite a shame.
I have talked to him before about it. He didn't seem to interested in the idea at the time. I figured if/when he is interested in exploring it, he might say something.

It would be a shame for this forum to just end, when there are people who are willing to take over the reigns.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #77
Twolunger
Quote:
I have talked to him before about it. He didn't seem to interested in the idea at the time. I figured if/when he is interested in exploring it, he might say something.

It would be a shame for this forum to just end, when there are people who are willing to take over the reigns.
I wondered what would happen to the archives if the site is discontinued. When I do a Google search of corn snake topics there are references to past posts on this forum. Is all that going to be lost? I hope not. Anyway, if the time does come at least there are alternatives, as you said.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:23 AM   #78
pitzMike
That would be a very sad new should this forum decides to retire. There are so much information on every forum that any SocMed cant recreate it. I started in this hobby late (2015) and the info I got here and other forums, and books really helped me understand this hobby.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #79
67temp
I hope that with all the recent drama on fd that forums will see a major rise in traffic.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:27 PM   #80
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
I hope that with all the recent drama on fd that forums will see a major rise in traffic.
Actually, I don't think it will have any impact at all from my perspective. Not here and not on FaunaClassifieds.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google