CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New Snake Feeding Questions

Old 12-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #1
tjb606
New Snake Feeding Questions

Hello!

I just recently acquired (shipped) a new 4-month-old corn snake a few days ago. This is my first snake, and I was hoping someone could help me with how to go about feeding. I have fresh frozen pinkie mice for him, that I will properly thaw, warm, etc. The only thing I was uncertain about doing was to either feed him in his tank or try to get him a tub.
Should I feed him in the tank for the first few feedings and then transition him to a tub? Or should I go ahead and pick him out of the tank and into the tub to feed him from the beginning? If so, how long should I leave him in his tub before putting him back into his tank?
If no tub should be used (as to me it seems more stressful to move back an forth) then how should I go about not associating feeding time vs handling time.
I'm just confused because I have some people saying always feed your corn snakes outside the tank, and then I have a bunch of people saying that is the old method of thinking and you can feed in your tank to minimize stress and maximize comfort for your snake.
Thank you!

PS. Any young corn snake handling tricks and tips are always welcome!

Old 12-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
blacktip
Having fed both in the tank and in a tub in the past I can say that it really is a matter of personal preference for you. I never had an issue with any of my snakes that were fed in the tank striking at me when I went to take them out of their tanks. At the same time, I never had any issues with snakes getting "stressed out" and not eating in a tub. In fact, they quickly realized that when they were put in the tub they were going to get fed and often ate more aggressively. The one positive to feeding in a tub that you haven't mentioned is that you don't have to worry about them accidentally ingesting substrate which could happen when fed in the tank. As for how long to leave them in the tub after feeding, I would take them out as soon as they started moving around after they finished swallowing their mouse. It's pretty easy to tell when they are done and ready.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #3
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktip View Post
Having fed both in the tank and in a tub in the past I can say that it really is a matter of personal preference for you. I never had an issue with any of my snakes that were fed in the tank striking at me when I went to take them out of their tanks. At the same time, I never had any issues with snakes getting "stressed out" and not eating in a tub. In fact, they quickly realized that when they were put in the tub they were going to get fed and often ate more aggressively. The one positive to feeding in a tub that you haven't mentioned is that you don't have to worry about them accidentally ingesting substrate which could happen when fed in the tank. As for how long to leave them in the tub after feeding, I would take them out as soon as they started moving around after they finished swallowing their mouse. It's pretty easy to tell when they are done and ready.

Thing is you can’t easily do that with many Kingsnakes ... and huge Burms , Retics or Anacondas..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google