CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Bloodred Stripe or normal stripe?

Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Pasodama
It looks more like a Blood belly to me.
'Course, as always, test breeding will tell you for sure.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Susan, are all the red snakes bloodreds?
Sort of, the next to the last one is actually a hypo blood.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Shmoges
Looks like my bloodred's belly (first pics)

Old 12-29-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
RavenSpirit360
It looks like the typical bloodred bleed on the belly, but I too have no experience with bloodred stripes. Breeding will tell you for sure But you know this.. I vote for homo blood though..

Old 12-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Nanci
Beth, do you have any ventral pics from when he was a baby?

Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #16
starsevol
Thanks everybody for the imput, I really appreciate it!!
If I can I will be breeding him with Myah, just to make sure.
Nanci, I don't have any on this computer, but he is registered with the ACR and I think I registered him as a baby. Lemme go look.....
Oh, what am I looking for?

Yes, I did register him young. At that time he was "Katrina" because I did not know how to pop and I thought he was a she!
His belly looks pretty much the same to me in that pic.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Mitchell Mulks
It's not the color-bleed that is the indicator...

Hi there,

My input stems directly from a gentlemen across the pond that posted photos of his 2011 toffee striped bloods and pointed out a phenotypic indicator that has proved to work 100% of the time so far with all the animals in my collection. It isn't the color bleed that you should be looking for, as I've seen multiple striped animals with what you'd call bloodred ventral color, but instead you want to be looking for translucent or clear patches running down the center of the ventral scales. The amount of translucence will differ for each scale, but that seems to be the consistent marker for diffused. If you have a diffused animal, pick it up, turn it over and look for the clear pattern on the ventral scales. Using this marker as a means to identify stripes from bloodred stripes should make it a much easier process, and should allow you to answer your question as to whether or not your gorgeous snake is homo diffused or not. I hope this helps.

Mitch

Old 12-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Mulks View Post
Hi there,

My input stems directly from a gentlemen across the pond that posted photos of his 2011 toffee striped bloods and pointed out a phenotypic indicator that has proved to work 100% of the time so far with all the animals in my collection. It isn't the color bleed that you should be looking for, as I've seen multiple striped animals with what you'd call bloodred ventral color, but instead you want to be looking for translucent or clear patches running down the center of the ventral scales. The amount of translucence will differ for each scale, but that seems to be the consistent marker for diffused. If you have a diffused animal, pick it up, turn it over and look for the clear pattern on the ventral scales. Using this marker as a means to identify stripes from bloodred stripes should make it a much easier process, and should allow you to answer your question as to whether or not your gorgeous snake is homo diffused or not. I hope this helps.

Mitch
Exactly. You can see it very well in the last photo posted by Susan. Mitch, have you found that the translucent scales persist into adulthood? That's why I wanted to see a hatchling photo of the snake in question. Once you see the comparison photos it is very simple to tell if a striped snake is homo diffused or not.

I don't see the translucent scales in Beth's photos, but I don't know if she can see it with the naked eye or not. So my prediction, based on the supplied photos, was no, the snake is not homo diffused. But- I'd like to see a _good_ hatchling ventral shot of him. And I can't wait for him to breed to see if my prediction is correct!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #19
Nanci
This baby, Number One, demonstrates the translucent scales very well. (He is an anery diffused, not striped).

I looked at all the adult bloodreds I have on ACR, and although my photos are clear and sharp, I don't see it on any of them, except maybe the avalanche stripe. I'll have to look at home, with the original photos.

(I wanted to upload the photo, but it's the wrong format and picresize won't work with that type...)

Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM   #20
fyrefocks
Now I have to go look at every one of my stripes, both homo and not blood, and all the bloods I have in the stripe project. Argh! Thanks a lot, Mitch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google