CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

African Soft Fur Rats

Old 03-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #21
Twolunger
Most of mine are colored like yours, with a little more brown saddle. I do have some from the breeder's solid brown male that turned out brown with a stripe down the head and stripes across each cheek. I have one female that's solid brown with pink ears. All the rest have brown ears. I kept one solid colored brown male just to get a variety.

For those members who don't have ASF's yet, they seem docile during the day and move around a little, but when the lights go out all hell breaks loose. Mine run around, climb on the bars of my lab breeder cages, do back flips, and in general try to escape.
They cam jump, so you need to be careful cleaning the cages. I clean mine during the day when they are mostly at rest. If I tried at night I'd probably have them all over the house.

I have read that some states prohibit selling them across state lines, but since they aren't shipped I don't know how that could be enforced.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #22
rolandslf
Mine are white with black saddles and some are almost totally white with a little black in the face. And yes they go mental at night. Once you open up more tubs and new colonies they have a bit of a population explosion .

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2019, 10:27 PM   #23
Twolunger
I have not seen any with black markings and I'll bet they look great. I guess it's best to keep real ugly ones instead, so you don't feel bad feeding them off.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #24
rolandslf
I will take a pic and post it later on today.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #25
rolandslf
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandslf View Post
I will take a pic and post it later on today.

Sorry I forgot, will do tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #26
67temp
I had 2 colonies going that were getting pretty crowded. So last night I fed of 12, and created 2 more colonies of 2.4.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #27
Twolunger
Two of my colonies started dropping babies. I didn't expect them to have young so soon, as they are not close to full grown yet. I had to make one more frozen mice order and I hope it's my last. My females were pretty docile until the babies were born, now one of them bites if you attempt to go near the babies.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
67temp
Sounds like "new mom syndrome" wanting to protect the babies. It typically passes soon if you keep working with her.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:31 AM   #29
67temp
Today's special is a lovely ASF soufflé.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #30
Twolunger
It's curious that they like to crowd into their food bowl. I had small boxes in their containers, which they used but then they would all crowd into the food bowl instead. I now have babies in 3 of the 4 colonies. I had 11 babies in one colony but the mother died for some reason and apparently the two other females weren't producing milk. The babies were scrambling around trying to get fed. I just saved them for future snake food.

I only have one male that has gonads showing. The males in the other colonies don't have anything showing. I expected to be able to sex them easier.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google