CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Anything I need to change about the tank if I were to put a baby snake in a 50 gallon

Old 11-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
fishyfriends876
Anything I need to change about the tank if I were to put a baby snake in a 50 gallon

Hello. I was wondering if I needed to change anything about a normal corn snake setup if I were to keep a baby 10 inch corn snake in a 50 gallon (36 x 18 x 18). Do I need more hides, more water, etc. ? Thank you!!

Old 11-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
SnakeCreations
Hey Fishy,

That would be pretty large for a baby. I'd recommend doing some searching here for enclosure, and general care. The search link is at the top of the page.

Good luck!

-Tonya

Old 11-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #3
blacktip
You can certainly keep a baby corn snake in a tank that size. You will want to add more hides and some ground clutter to limit the amount of open space to help the baby feel more comfortable.

There are a couple of downsides to keeping a baby in a larger tank like that. Babies love to hide and burrow into the substrate. Finding a baby with that much space can be difficult whenever you want to take it out to handle it or check on its health. The other difficulty will be in finding their poop in order to clean it out of the tank.

For these reasons I usually keep my babies in a 10 gallon tank for the first year before moving them to a larger enclosure.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #4
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktip View Post
You can certainly keep a baby corn snake in a tank that size. You will want to add more hides and some ground clutter to limit the amount of open space to help the baby feel more comfortable.

There are a couple of downsides to keeping a baby in a larger tank like that. Babies love to hide and burrow into the substrate. Finding a baby with that much space can be difficult whenever you want to take it out to handle it or check on its health. The other difficulty will be in finding their poop in order to clean it out of the tank.

For these reasons I usually keep my babies in a 10 gallon tank for the first year before moving them to a larger enclosure.

^ This^

They’d rarely see the little guy with all that space as you said plus the tiny hatchlings can squeeze through the smallest holes / gaps .. even the space between two sliding glass doors .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
Rich Z
Personally I would be concerned that cleaning such a large sized cage as that will be such a chore that it will be rarely done. So the possibility of developing a bug problem as a result is a likely probability. Especially when the cage would need to be kept relatively humid enough to help with the shed cycles. A fungus problem could potentially cause issues too if the cleaning cycle stretches out too long.

Speaking of fungus in snakes, one of my members on FaunaClassifieds brought up this interesting article:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=708711

Probably best not to subject your animals to anything this potentially harmful to them.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
SnakeCreations
Oh boy - that is a terrible disease. And that poor snake! Sad. Thanks, though for sharing and raising awareness of what is going on.

-Tonya

Old 11-16-2019, 01:41 AM   #7
fishyfriends876
Thank you all. I thought about dividing my tank in half with a cardboard piece in the middle so it is 18 x 18 x 18.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google