CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Breeding for Snow corns?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
EmJagsz
Breeding for Snow corns?

I was just wondering how Snow corns were made? I tried doing a search, but I didn't really find anything that helped...

Personally, I figured that, to get a snow corn, a cross between an Anery x Amel would create a snow. Seeing as Anerys lack orange/red pigment and Amels lack black, the end result would be a snake with no red and no black..hence a snow. Is this correct? If it does involve an Anery, does it matter which type between type A or B?

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
ghosthousecorns
You are correct that a snow is both anery and amel. But there is more to producing one that just crossing the anery and the amel together. The anery must be het for amel, and the amel must be het for anery. For most morphs that are recessive, the animals get half their genetic material from each parent. It means if you cross the anery and amel and they are not het for each other, you could get all normals het for both anery and amel. I am not the best at explaining this, if you want a more in depth explanation you should look in the genetics faq...
Type B and amel is a "blizzard" a white snake but different than a snow...

Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
EmJagsz
Oh okay, I get it now. You explained it just fine, and it was exactly what I needed to know! It makes much more sense. Thanks a bunch

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
ghosthousecorns
Woohoo! It is the first time today something i said actually made sense to someone!!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
ForkedTung
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Woohoo! It is the first time today something i said actually made sense to someone!!
I disagree Jen...your post on the other thread was well written too!

Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkedTung View Post
I disagree Jen...your post on the other thread was well written too!
Aww thanks, Kyle! TBH I was havin' kind of a crappy day yesterday... This forum is such a great escape fom reality sometimes! Anyway I know I am not that good at explaining genetics stuff to people because I have tried and gotten the quizzical "huh"? before

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google