CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Plans in the making

Old 06-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
barett
Plans in the making

So. I have purchased a 36x18x18 exo terra. A heat mat for 1/3 of it. Things are getting real. I have heard from and read many conflicting opinions on the tank with a baby. I have heard its big, but the size is ok. To use paper towel...to use aspen. I do not want to get a smaller tank because I do not believe it is too big. I mean they come from living in the wild, which is much bigger. What are the experts here opinions.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
Twolunger
I'm no expert, but hatchlings seem to prefer small containers at first. It makes them feel safer. It's probably nature's way of limiting their movements due to predators in the wild. They tend to eat better when in a small container. Several of the breeders I know just keep hatchlings in deli cups until they are well started. I have hatchling racks to start mine off, moving them to larger racks as they grow. Having said that, you can still start a baby in your exo terra, by leaving a smaller container inside it for the baby. You can gradually release it when it is well started. Don't be surprised if it stays in its hides for extended periods.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
I hope you got a thermostat to regulate that heat mat. If not, please do so. Some of those heat pads (depending on brand and size) can hit 140 degrees. I have 3 Heat pads all various sizes, and they all range from 122 to 137 degrees. That kind of heat can kill a snake. That's why we all use thermostats to keep the desired temps.

I used to use Newspaper 45 years ago as Aspen was not available and everyone back then used newspaper. Some folks still do. Some folks use paper towels. Some folks use Aspen, Eco Earth, and similar products. As long as it's nothing toxic, I don't think it really matters. Personally today, I use "Reptile Carpet." I bought 2 sheets of it 5 years ago and I'm still using the same 2 pieces. No more Aspen all over the house. I don't have to buy it in bulk. When 1 piece is dirty I put in the clean one. I always have 1 ready. But that's just my preference. A lot of people think Corn Snakes need to burrow. That's not true, They will hide, But I'm yet to find a wild corn snakes burrowed in a field of shredded aspen.

As long as you provide plenty of hiding spots (multiples) the substrate really doesn't matter. Corn snakes like small tight places to hide in. You can replace them with larger hides as they grow. But even the larger snakes like a small tight hide. Try to have at least 1 hide over the heat pad, 1 hide on the cool side, and perhaps 1 or 2 more in between.

Lots of those fake plants and vines make the tank look pleasing, the snake will like ti too. Corn snakes like a lot of clutter. If you can look in the cage and easily see the snake, then the snake will not be comfortable. Especially small babies. They are vulnerable and prefer to hide. Until the snake gets to know you and trust you, it will regard you as just another big animal trying to eat it. So don't be surprised if it stays hidden, runs from you or even bites.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
barett
This is why I love this forum....such great advice.
I will be getting a thermostat...just doing my research on a good one. I kept leopard geckos for many years....almost 20. I had UTH and basking lamps with them on a thermostat. So I am familiar.

As a baby I will probably do something like a carpet or paper towel so I can keep an eye on poop easier. I will for sure provide many hides and plants for them. Should I provide a humid hide of sphagnum moss on the warm side like I used to for my geckos? Is that a thing with corn snakes? What is the preferred humidity and temp for the warm side? in your opinions...I have read online a little variance.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
I keep my cage year round, 85 degrees inside the warm hide, 74 degrees inside the cool hide. Temps should be measured inside the Hides as that is where the snake will be most of the time. As an example - I actually have to set my thermostat to about 91 degrees in the summer and around 96 degrees in the winter. By the time the heat travels through the bottom of the cage, the reptile carpet, and the porcelain hide, it's actually 85 degrees inside of the hide. Just because you set your thermostat to a certain temperature doesn't mean you'll actually achieve that. You may have to crank it up a bit to get the temp right inside the hide.

If you live in a cooler area, you might need 2 heat pads. I have 2 in my setup. The one on the cool side is set for 74 degrees, but it only kicks in on the very coldest days of winter. Usually it's off.

You will not be able to heat the entire cage. A lot of folks think that if they set their thermostat to 85 degrees, then the temp should be that, and they don't understand when they look a their thermometer, why it says 73 instead of 85. It's because the heat pads heat only the "Bottom of the Cage" directly above the pad. The rest of the cage will be whatever room temp you have in your house.

That's why we suggest getting the temps correct "Inside of the Hides." The rest of the cage really doesn't matter.

As far as humidity, corn snakes naturally come from the Southeastern USA where humidity can run really high summer 60% to 90%, but very dry the rest of the year. I try to keep mine "Neutral" about 50%. If your humidity varies a bit it's no big deal. "Moist Hides" are usually not necessary for corn snakes unless you live in a very dry climate and your snake has a hard time shedding. I Sometimes provide a Moist Hide when he's shedding, but most of the time I do not.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google