CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

PLEASE HELP ASAP

Old 08-20-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
sophieshock
Unhappy PLEASE HELP ASAP

So, I've had my new baby corn snake for around a month now. I was stupid enough to accidentally leave the latch at the top of the vivarium open, and my corn snake Peaches managed to escape! I came home from work and had a nap, by the time I woke up it was dark, around 22:30.

Because I came home from work late, I did not have time to change her water or check on her, as I do this every day so it wasn't like it was out of the ordinary for me to check her, and I guess that if I'd been gone for 13 hours, I'd want to make sure she was okay, warm and had enough to drink.

I "checked" on her, but of course she wasn't there, although this has happened before, I've gone to check and she's been hiding in a little skull I brought her, and she seems to really like it in there. I managed to find her in there after I panicked and flipped her viv! I was thinking that is what had happened this time, but nope, she has gone. I keep checking even now, knowing she is still not there.

My heart is literally broken, even though she's a snake and spends her time to herself, I really miss her! She's my baby and I am such a terrible snake owner!

It's the morning now, after she got out, I'm terrified she's hurt or cold, I know shes probably not cold but I am worried she's hurt, shes only a baby, very tiny and also would have fallen from a height when she escaped.

I have a small gap between my wardrobe and my wall, not big enough for me to see, but big enough for her to go into. I wanted to ask some questions to see if anyone could help me out.

Is it possible for Peaches to make her way back to her viv, if I leave it on the floor? With the lid open? And I usually feed her on a Tuesday, which is tomorrow, so is it possible for her to go back to her viv if she knows shes going to be fed on that day?

I also want to know if it's possible she would not go very far. I'm hoping she is in the little gap in my room, but I'm scared she's somewhere else and I'm never going to see her again.

Could anyone give me some advise? I am going to set some traps, as I've been looking around for help, so I am going to out some plastic bags.

I also don't have any flour, so is baby powder alright to put down? It's not toxic to them or anything? I've also decided I'm going to become nocturnal till I find her!

Any advise, tips or tricks is much appreciated! I know I'm stupid and I am paying for my stupidity right now! I just want to see her again and know she is safe. I'm so worried that I've actually made myself ill.

Thank you again!

Old 08-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
crackerhead
They are most active at night so patience and good flashlight after bedtime is the best time to search. I've caught many small snakes using rolled duct tape by the base boards, especially on either side of a door. The animal can be released safely from the tape using cooking oil like Spray Pam.
They are tough little buggers so don't worry.
Good Luck!
Terri

Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
67temp
Good luck in your search for her! I've typically found they don't really go all that far. I just had a little one that was just a month old, escape for 26 days. I found her on another floor of the house next to another snakes tank. Most of the time if it's within a day of them getting out they are within 10' of their enclosure.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Nanci
Search the room she was in, looking under and in every single thing. Start from her viv and work out.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
sophieshock
I’m so happy to say that I’ve found her! Actually my dad found her just now! I think she may have been down stairs as she was at the top of the stairs when he saw her.

Thank you for all your advise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
67temp
Congrats! I'm glad you found the cute little thing!

Old 08-21-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
pitzMike
You're very lucky! Congrats!

Old 08-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
DeuceRon
I'll bet you never do that again.. Glad all is well.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
sophieshock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRon View Post
I'll bet you never do that again.. Glad all is well.

No, definitely not! I was lucky we found her, as she so small she could of gotten anywhere!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
sophieshock
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitzMike View Post
You're very lucky! Congrats!

Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
cornmorphs, escaped, escapee