• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Man with 700 snakes arrested at airport

ArpeggioAngel

Around Here Somewhere....
CNN Link

Text of the story:
CAIRO, Egypt (AP) -- Customs officers at Cairo's airport have detained a man bound for Saudi Arabia who was trying to smuggle 700 live snakes on a plane, airport authorities said.

The officers were stunned when a passenger, identified as Yahia Rahim Tulba, told them his carryon bag contained live snakes after he was asked to open it.

Tulba opened his bag to show the snakes to the police and asked the officers, who held a safe distance, not to come close. Among the various snakes, hidden in small cloth sacks, were two poisonous cobras, authorities said.

The Egyptian said he had hoped to sell the snakes in Saudi Arabia. Police confiscated the snakes and turned Tulba over to the prosecutor's office, accusing him of violating export laws and endangering the lives of other passengers.

According to the customs officials, Tulba claimed the snakes are wanted by Saudis who display them in glass jars in shops, keep them as pets or sell them to research centers.

The value of the snakes was not immediately known.

I cannot imagine trying to carry 700 snakes on a plane...I would think they had to be small, hatchlings maybe?

Relentless said:
A real-life "Snakes on a Plane" perhaps? even though there were only 2 poisonous snakes

One is enough to make mass hysteria in non-snake loving people and have the press doing a "sky is falling" news item on how lethal snakes are.

Poor snakes, but, at least the man was caught, and I'm sure they will find a suitable punishment for him, I just find it disappointing that anyone would attempt to do this,

-George-

This is the second time I've read about someone smuggling snakes. I don't remember much about the last one - though there were far more hots in his collection. Though, in 700 there could be far more hots then was listed - it only said he brought two out - there could have been more.

I don't know why people think they will get away with sneaking the snakes onto a plane *shrugs* hope they didn't destroy the snakes though.

Jenn

Pet Corn Snake said:
Poor snakes, but, at least the man was caught, and I'm sure they will find a suitable punishment for him, I just find it disappointing that anyone would attempt to do this,

-George-

Some people will do whatever they can to make money. That area is very poor and more than likely the man will probably put locked away for many many years or get a fine so high he will never be able to pay. As for the snakes I hope someone had a heart for God's creatures and released them where they can be safe. But it is Egypt . . .

Back