CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Ball Pythons

Old 05-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Nomed
Question Ball Pythons

Ive done some research and I know they kind of have the same needs as corns. I'm really thinking about getting this one girl who I am very attached to in a good petstore near me.

Is there anything I should really know about them that probably wont show up in the care sheets.

Lighting question, woudl it be ok to use a repti basking spot lamp light by zoomed 24/7 even though they are nocturnal or will their internal clock kick in and they wont care?

haha sorry this post is kinda indirect and spacey im really tired right now.

lol

Old 05-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
waldo
I wouldn't use a light with a ball, not only will it disturbe theri sleeping patterns but it will dry their tank out too much. They require high humidity then corns, best to use a UTH.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 AM   #3
tyflier
Ball python care is not the same as corn snake care. They require different temperatures, basking zones, different substrates, more humidity, MUCH more patience, a different diet...the list goes on.

I recommend a GOOD care sheet or reference book. They are not difficult, per se, but they are definitely different from corn snakes, and are not nearly as forgiving of your mistakes. These reasons alone are why I HATE seeing "ball pythons are great starter snakes", because, IMO, they are not. They may be great starter pythons or boids, but they are not the best choice for "newbie" snake owners. They require alot more strict regulation of habitats, and are FAR pickier as eaters. And they will test your patience to it's furthest extent...and then some.

FWIW...I would NEVER keep my BP in the same rack as my corns. Their requirements are far too different to make that feasible...

Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 AM   #4
Plissken
Tyflier is correct, keeping a BP is a totally different kettle of fish to keeping a cornsnake.

I love my BP, but he needs more humidity (especially when he's shedding), hotter temps, bigger meals, and is much more finnicky about those same meals than my cornsnake. I only just recently managed to break him of a month-long fast. Not much as BPs go, but worrysome for the human involved all the same.

Having already kept a corn there's no reason why you can't keep a BP, but I'd advise you to research them and take your time

Edit, forgot to add: Unless your room is a very dark one, artificial lighting isn't required. Light from the window will suffice.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
Jrgh17
I'd agree with what has already been said. I don't know if you saw my recent thread, but they really do test your patience at times. *grrr* Also, make sure you get a good UTH and thermostat for them. Because of the high temperatures they need, I feel much more comfortable with a thermostat than a rheostat. But that's just me. Depending on how cold your house is, you may actually need another UTH (set on a lower setting) for the cool side of the viv. I think the most important thing is to make sure you get your full setup before getting the snake. That way, you have time to "tweak" your humidity and temps if need be.

Personally, I'd skip the light. Being a species which spends most of it's time curled up in a nice, warm mouse burrow (while digesting the previous inhabitants ), it's reasonable to believe that too much light can add extra stress.

All in all, food refusals aside, I really do enjoy my BP. If you decide they're right for you, enjoy.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #6
kathylove
What tyflier said!! All true!!

Very different than corns. Be sure to get and read one of the better books. There is one in the same Bowtie series as my cornsnake book - lots of good info. And a good one by Kevin McCurley (sp??) Care sheets are fine to decide if you want one. But you really should read the whole book if you decide to actually get one. They are not that difficult, but not quite as easy as corns.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Nomed
Thank you all so much I totally appreciate all of the help! I'm deffitnally going to do a lot more research on them before I get one.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
toyah
My advice would be to read, set up a tub and keep it at the right temperature and humidity for a bit first to make sure you've got it right ... and then buy a decent sized adult/subadult so when it doesn't eat for the first month or so, you're not worrying about it starving!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
Nomed
Ive been reading alot, I am working on my tank right now it should be done this weekend hopefully and you know I'm going to get everything set up perfectly! I am crazy about the conditions in my snake's tank :]. Then all I have to do is save up the rest of the money for my girl. I found the one I really like. She likes me too :] my friend (who works at the store) took her out and she curled up into a ball then he gave her to me and she was like that for a little bit then started moving around fllicking her toung a bit. I'm not worried about not eating anymore. I dident know snakes would not eat just becuase they did not feel like it I was worried something might be wrong.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google