• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How To Pack Snakes For Shipping

Nanci

Alien Lover
A member here recently received a snake, shipped by another member here. He was disappointed by the not-so-great packing job. I thought it might be nice to have a reference here for people who haven't had the luxury of receiving snakes packed by the best, so they could learn by example! I've picked up packing tips from several members here, notably John Finsterwald, Carol Huddleston and Kathy Love. I feel like my method is as safe as it can get.

The shipments pictured here were packed for "neutral" weather, leaving Florida at 90F in the afternoon (where they sit in the Fed Ex office, cooled, till they get on the truck at 8:00 PM) traveling to Memphis, where the Fed Ex hub is, and virtually all Priority Overnight shipments go there for much of the night- temp 57F, and then on to their final destinations in Colorado and Ohio where the predicted low was 55F. So I wanted to start out cool, and used refrigerated, not frozen, gel packs.

Other times you might want to keep the box colder with frozen gel packs, or warm with 40 hour heat packs. If in doubt, feel free to drop me a PM and I will advise you as best I can, or tell you to call in one of the _real_ experts!

First thing is I like to have a variety of shipping supplies readily available. I like the 12 x 9 x 6 box for most shipments, and sometimes the next size up, 15 x 11 x 7. I get them, and most supplies, from Superior Shipping Supplies. I also keep on hand foam peanuts, newspaper, ziplock bags, gel packs, 40 hour heat packs, big rubber bands, scotch or electric tape for taping delis shut, 3M Heavy Duty Packing Tape for taping the boxes, yellow Perishable labels available for free from FedEx, clear plastic airbill envelopes, available free from FedEx, and various deli cups and snake bags in a couple sizes, from Superior. A sharpie for writing on delis, and a highlighter for outlining some info on the shipping label. CareFresh and paper towels for packing the snakes.

Attachments

• Shipping Supply Rack.jpg
    Shipping Supply Rack.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 318
First, assemble the box. Triple tape the center seam, and single tape the ends.

Attachments

• Shipping 002.jpg
    Shipping 002.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 317
I use boxes with 3/4 inch insulation. You can buy boxes with 1/2 inch insulation, but it doesn't save much. You might think that the insulation is for, insulating, but really it is to protect your box from crushing. When you send in your test package, the FedEx testing center puts it in a machine that attempts to crush it with several hundred pounds of pressure. The thicker insulation is an important safety measure.

Attachments

• Shipping 003.jpg
    Shipping 003.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 316
I label the boxes with bright fluorescent labels with large lettering and hope someone along the way pays attention.

Attachments

• Shipping 005.jpg
    Shipping 005.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 315
The busy FedEx workers may not take the time to read your nice labels, but they all know what the yellow Perishable stickers mean! They don't even have to read it, they know it by the color.

Attachments

• Shipping 011.jpg
    Shipping 011.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 314
A juvenile or adult snake goes in a bag. Check the corners to make sure the bag is secure! Put your finger inside the corner and push hard! The snake certainly will. Add some absorbent paper towels for cushioning and in case the snake voids on the trip.

*edit* It is VERY important to check the corners of the snake bag/pillowcase to make sure they are intact. The snake could escape, which is bad, but a large snake may become trapped and injure itself.

Attachments

• Shipping 012.jpg
    Shipping 012.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
When the snake is in the bag, tie the top with a knot. Make it very tight, so the snake can't crawl through the knot, but not so tight the person has to cut it to get the snake out. Then if the bag has ties, fold the top over and wrap the ties VERY tightly around the neck of the bag, and tie them in a bow.

Attachments

• Shipping 020.jpg
    Shipping 020.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 314
If the bag doesn't have ties, I've seen people use plastic cable ties instead.

Attachments

• Shipping 021.jpg
    Shipping 021.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 314
I ship babies in CareFresh. It's soft and absorbent. You want to pack the deli cup very full. You don't want the snake to have room to shake around if the box is thrown or dropped.

Attachments

• Shipping 013.jpg
    Shipping 013.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 316
Make sure the delis are clearly labeled with all the info you have on the hatchling, including registration numbers of the parents if you have that. I can't tell you how many times I have referred to an old deli cup for pedigree information when registering a snake months later!

Attachments

• Shipping 031.jpg
    Shipping 031.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 316
Tape the lid shut. Do not tape over the air holes! FedEx requires this step and if you forget it when you send in your test package it will fail.

Attachments

• Shipping 032.jpg
    Shipping 032.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 254
I virtually always use gel packs with every shipment, no matter the temps. I have huge three pound packs for very cold and hot weather. I can use them frozen, room temp, or refrigerated. I also have a medium size for milder weather conditions. The gel packs act as a heat sink and stabilize the temp in the box, keeping it from rapid temp changes, holding your heating or cooling for a longer time.

Frozen packs, except the huge ones, only stay frozen for a few hours, but that gets your shipment out of the hot afternoon drop off period and into the cooler evening in Memphis. After thawing, they still stabilize the temps.

I like to put them in ziplocks just in case they leak. If room temp or cooled, that is enough. If frozen, I wrap them in newspaper. I do not place a snake directly on a frozen gel pack!

Attachments

• Shipping 019.jpg
    Shipping 019.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 254
When using heavier gel packs, I like to tape them to the bottom styrofoam while it is still out of the box, in case the box is flipped upside down.

Attachments

• Shipping 022.jpg
    Shipping 022.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 253
I finally figured out a nice way to store packing peanuts! I keep several bags of these around. I've never had to buy them; I apparently buy enough stuff and have it shipped to have a huge supply!

Attachments

• Shipping 023.jpg
    Shipping 023.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 253
Place a single layer of the peanuts in the box, and arrange the bag comfortably on top of them.

Attachments

• Shipping 024.jpg
    Shipping 024.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 252
Then fill in lots more peanuts around the bag. Your goal is that the bag is cushioned firmly and will not move if the box is shaken. When you close it up, test it with a light shake and make sure your snake isn't banging around in the box.

Attachments

• Shipping 025.jpg
    Shipping 025.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 253
Depending on how many deli cups you have, you may have a single layer or a stack of two or three.

Attachments

• Shipping 030.jpg
    Shipping 030.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 254
Pack peanuts tightly around the delis. Now your hatchlings have a double layer of cushioning. Again, when you shake the box, you don't want to feel any movement whatsoever.

Attachments

• Shipping 039.jpg
    Shipping 039.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 252
Place the styrofoam cover on top, and put your invoice directly on top of that. The invoice/packing slip should be the first thing visible when the box is opened. It is required to have the name and address and phone numbers of the shipper and receiver, the scientific and common names of the contents.

Attachments

• Shipping 026.jpg
    Shipping 026.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 252
The documents that go in the air bill envelope on the top of the box are the FedEx shipping label and a copy of the invoice. I like to highlight the receiver's phone number in the top left (covered, here) and add a note, highlighted, in the lower left corner with an emergency phone number, mine.

Attachments

• Shipping 018_800.jpg
    Shipping 018_800.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 251
Back