CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Famous Last Words (Introducing my new BP)

Old 05-23-2007, 09:45 AM   #41
Jcapicy
Ok so last night i gave my BP a crawler mouse and she wanted nothing to do with it. I know BP's can be tempermental feeders but i would like to know possibly remedies or experiences. Also she ate last weds, and i'm wondering if she just isn't hungry.

Well, i left the mouse in the cage over night and it was still crawling around this AM so i took it out and put it in a deli cup. assuming the mouse makes it through the day as it is not yet weaned does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:19 AM   #42
waldo
Welcome to the world of balls LOL. She may not be hungry yet, she may not like mice. Mine will take just about any thing, live or F/T but her favorite is Russian dwarf hamsters. I now have a breeding pair.
You may want to try a different rodent, gerbils and hamsters are often preferred but if you start feeding her some thing besides mice then be prepared to provide that food all the time. Watch when feeding gerbils or hamsters, they are more aggressive the rats, I always stun the hamsters before feeding to prevent bites.

Double check the temps, balls are picky about that too, also take a peak at her belly to see if she is going into shed. In case you missed the blue stage you can usually tell by the pinkish tint on the belly. If every thing is ok then you can just wait another 5-7 days and try to feed again.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #43
texastailfeathers
I tried to feed mine a F/T mouse the day I got it (ok, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to). Nothing. BUT...then I went and picked up a live one and it took about two hours, but he ate it.

Next time I will NOT try to feed my new acquisitions on he first day I have them.

I really hope I don't have to continue with live, but if it's only this one snake then I guess it's not so bad.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #44
texastailfeathers
By the way, I think I'm going to name the new BP "Prada"...'cause he looks and feels like a really expensive pair of shoes.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:13 AM   #45
Jcapicy
Thanks guys, I have also read that sometimes they prefer darker colored food and that gerbil scenting works too.

there are only 2 places i can get gerbils or hamsters, petsmart and a shop about an hour drive from home, i might try scenting a mouse with my roomies hamsters.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #46
carolinacorn69
I must be really lucky. Both of my Royals take white f/t mice.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #47
Jcapicy
well i am going to move her to a tub tonight with some smaller hides and see how she does after 5-7 days of private confinement.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #48
texastailfeathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo
Did you pop him? was it as easy as popping a corn? I would like to sex my ball too but I've been afraid to try, their thick tail looks like it would be harder to pop. I'll have to give it a go tomorrow.
Waldo, did you pop your BP? How'd it go?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #49
waldo
I tried, either I have a girl or I wasn't doing it right. I'm going to take a picture of her vent and see if they can sex it over at the ball python forum.

I've feed her 4 times now, 1st with a freshly killed dwarf hamster, 2nd a stunned mouse, 3rd F/T mouse. This was the hardest feeding, I had to use a blow dryer to get the mouse really hot before she would eat. The last feeding was a stunned hamster, she really seems to like them best.

Years ago I bought my first ball, she would only eat spiny mice. No matter how much I tried she would not take other food. I ended up having to breed spiny's which was a big pain. I lost that snake in a divorce, I heard she passed a couple years ago.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #50
Jcapicy
well the crawler that i had in her cage over night is now in the freezer and i will try again in a week with another live crawler and try working with my female corn who has yet to take a f/t but i think she will. I may just have to use hemostats to move it a bit til she "Kills" it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google