CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

It Worked!! *Pics!*

Old 05-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #1
Beothon Lover
Arrow It Worked!! *Pics!*

On the 12th i posted a thread asking about trying to feed my two big snakes(my '06 BP and my dumeril's) f/t mice.

Well earlier today i was at Tails N' Scales getting feeders and other stuff, I purchased 5 large f/t adult mice for Nyxx(BP) and Divana(dumeril's)...along with 5 live mice just in case.

Got home and fed Helios('07 BP) and Zaylem('06 Prairie King) first since they had live(a medium pinky and a medium fuzzy)...then i set to feeding all my colubrids..fed them then put them all away. I defrosted one of the f/t adult mice..had the blowdryer on it for a couple minutes to make sure it was dry and nice and warm. Used some tongs and dangled the mouse in front of Divana..she looked for a couple seconds..then wham! she struck at it like it was still alive and started constricting it..then went to swallowing the f/t mouse.

Divana's second f/t was dryer cause cause no water got in the ziplock baggie while it was in the bowl of hot water i used the blowdryer to up the temp of the mouse then offered it to Divana...same response as the first one.

The i defrosted the last three all at once(defrosting one by one was taking a long time) i blowdried the first gave it to Divana..did the same to the second..but gave it to Nyxx instead.

Nyxx wasn't to sure about it...but i laid the mouse in front of her and wiggled it and she struck at it and coiled around it to constrict it...I left her alone and went to give Divana he final mouse which she took and went back to check on Nyxx.. who was half way done with her mouse.

when they both finished i but them back in their tubs so they could start digesting. I'm soo happy they ate f/t without any problems(i.e. refusing the f/t then having 5 f/t mice i couldn't do anything with since no one but them are big enough to eat them).

Only problem now is that i have 5 live mice that i have nothing to do with and I'm not looking forward to keeping them... their smelly, no matter how many times i clean their cage they always seem to be smelly.

So my first attempt worked! hopefully in 2 weeks when its Nyxx and Divana's time to eat again they'll eat f/t with the same attitude towards it.

The Pics...

In this pic is both my '07 BP and Nyxx(who is an '06)...she's on the right. Pic was taken to show size difference between the two.

This is Divana doing her tree boa or as i call it "chair boa" impersonation...

hope you guys and girls enjoy the pics .

Beothon

Old 05-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
tyflier
Congrats on getting them to take F/T. Trust me when I say...I know the feeling. It sure makes things easier.

FWIW...you could euthanize the live mice and freeze them, now that you know they will eat F/T...

Old 05-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Beothon Lover
thanks. I'm super glad that they'll eat f/t now.

i don't think i can euthanize the mice i have...don't have a gas chamber(and i know my parents wont buy me the stuff to makeone right now)..so that'd leave killing by hand and i can't do that. Though John(owner of Tails N' Scales) has a gas chamber...maybe i can ask if he could do it for me....

Old 05-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
Nanci
Excellent news!!

Nanci

Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
antsterr
Very nice! I've been working on my female BRB 1 year old to get her on to F/T. I she's taken f/t twice now, the trick seems to be to thaw the mouse dry rather than in water like I usually do. Both times she ate I gave her a dry f/t mouse and put her in a plastic shoe box with a hide in it. I then place the mouse on top of her once she's in the the hide. I hope she gets a bit better feeding response someday because she isn't eating every week and not growing as fast as I'd like. Also I hope she switches to rats okay when she outgrows mice.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #6
Beothon Lover
Nanci- it is excellent news. now i don't have to spend so much on live feeders.

antsterr- i was worried about the mice getting wet as well....thats why i had the blowdryer...to make sure the mice were dry and up to a good temp. hope all goes well getting your female BRB to eat f/t.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google