CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Breeding Leo's! (Info Please)

Old 05-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Pet Corn Snake
Breeding Leo's! (Info Please)

Hello guys : )

Well I have been interested in lizards for a while, and I love the coloration and especially the eyes of Leos, I have heard they are great biginners lizards, SO.. I thought It would be nice to start hopefully breeding them at the start of 08, this gives me a lot of time to research, check them out (a lot of friends own them) and learn more about breeding, If i do go into this and do get some nice baby's then I will be donating to Charity's and things like that, I have always wanted to get involved with Charity's but my income is 0 most of the time, I'm going to ask for money for Christmas I'm also going to save all the money I get, and then I will be able to afford to breed them : )

anyways there is many many things I need to learn before I go into this, so if you can help me with any tips that would be really good : )

also I'm aware that starting breeding being the first thing i do with lizards is maybe not the best thing, but I would really like to get into it, corn's will always be pets, I don't think I have future plans of breeding, most defiantly not with Damien anyways,

-George-

Old 05-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Jcapicy
Leo's are really cool. and one of the easier lizards/gecko's to breed. Just try keeping one for a bit and they work into breeding.

I bred Tokay Geckos for a bit when i was younger and that wasn't bad at all, except for them nippy tokays!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Pet Corn Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcapicy
Leo's are really cool. and one of the easier lizards/gecko's to breed. Just try keeping one for a bit and they work into breeding.

I bred Tokay Geckos for a bit when i was younger and that wasn't bad at all, except for them nippy tokays!
Thank you mate : ) I have read a few times they are easy to breed and you can make the baby's eather male or female by different temps in the first 2 weeks, witch sounds pretty cool! : )

Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet Corn Snake
Thank you mate : ) I have read a few times they are easy to breed and you can make the baby's eather male or female by different temps in the first 2 weeks, witch sounds pretty cool! : )
You can, but it's not 100% guaranteed. Which is why most breeders will keep their babies a minimum of 6 weeks, so they can sex them properly, instead of just calling them "Female" because they were incubated at 80°F.

Imo, here is a nice write-up (and near as I can tell, accurate) on breeding Leo's.

http://www.thegeckospot.com/leobreeding.html

Old 05-25-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
Pet Corn Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew
You can, but it's not 100% guaranteed. Which is why most breeders will keep their babies a minimum of 6 weeks, so they can sex them properly, instead of just calling them "Female" because they were incubated at 80°F.

Imo, here is a nice write-up (and near as I can tell, accurate) on breeding Leo's.

http://www.thegeckospot.com/leobreeding.html
Thank you mate, one worry I have is all the incubation, I generally get a few hundred £ for Christmas, witch should get me a breeding pair and the set ups, but will they be able to live together? and does the incubation system cost a lot generally? I could order from the USA like all the supply's, since I should get double the amount of stuff (GOTTA LOVE THE EXCHANGE RATE) :P

Old 05-25-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
Pet Corn Snake
also, If you do already breed geckos, please private message me sometime or add me to AIM or MSN,

No rush, just when you have some spare time and want to give the noob (me) some gecko advise :P

Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
Brizzle
I'd think you'd want to own a couple for a while before deciding if you want to breed them or not..

Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #8
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle
I'd think you'd want to own a couple for a while before deciding if you want to breed them or not..
This is what I was going to say, how do you know you'll even like having Leopard Geckos full stop? If you get Leos and find you still want to breed, great, go for it, but at least slow down and don't rush in to everything

I also think you want to consider the practicalities of it. How do you plan on housing the babies? Can you afford to feed them for some time if it takes you a while to secure them homes? What about breeding and hatching itself, can you afford incubators and that sort of thing? All at the same time as maintaining the adults AND Damien.

I'm not trying to put you off friend, these are just a few points to think about.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Brizzle
I agree with Plissken.

And you want to do it for charity? I'm pretty sure that the money that comes from selling the geckos will probably go back into taking care of the geckos. You'd have to do it 'cause you like it..Not to make money.

If you want to do stuff for charities, try volunteering or something.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Pet Corn Snake
hey guys : )

Thanks for your advise, I have always been interested in geckos and will make sure i own some before I go into breeding, it's not really about the money, I'm just interested in breeding reptiles when I'm older and why not start with Leos?

by Charity's I mean some money i make from the baby's will go towards things like reptiles centres and things, obviously not all of it, they will be basically paying for themself, another thing I would really like to do is help people understand and get used to reptiles in my local town, there are very few people with reptiles here and it would be nice to help open peoples eyes to see how really amazing they are, so it's not really about the money, the money will probably be good of course, but it's not why i want to breed them, I'm not rushing into anything and i see your points, I will not be getting any Leos unless I'm 100% sure they are what i want, I'm just learning about all different reptiles ATM, if you had asked me a month ago if i was going further into snakes, I would be like YEA I want boas and pythons and everything, but now I have realised that corns will do me fine, they are great pets : ) Leos most likely will make great pets too, but I have heard a few times they are easy to breed, and I have been interested in them for some time, so I value your points, and I'll take your advise, right now I'm great with my Damien, he's all i want ATM, I'm just looking into the future and trying to see what i would like : )

so i really don't want to come across like I'm rushing things, I'm very aware that it will be expensive and it may even be a little hard, so i will not be getting any until I'm sure : )

thanks for your advise guys

-George-

P.S I'm just really interested in reptiles, hopefully I will have more when i'm older : ) they are great animals and they amaze me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google