CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How often do you handle your corn snake?

Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #1
sindragosa
How often do you handle your corn snake?

Hi everyone! First time corn snake owner, I adopted a 5 year old 5 foot long male and love him to bits!

I might love him a little too much, though. I got him a week ago and have consistently taken him out of his tank in hopes that he'll get used to my scent and associate it with being friendly. However, yesterday he wrapped his tail around his hide, so I left him alone, and today he slithered away into his hide completely. I don't bother him when he does this and he isn't acting aggressive at all, but it makes me think I'm overhandling him.

So I googled for a place that might give me advice and wound up here. I'd like to know how often everyone handles their corns so that I can both enjoy my snake and lower the chance of stressing him out. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
Frank Pinello
Welcome!
All corns are a little different when it comes to how comfortable they are about being handled. At 5 years of age, he's probably set in his ways meaning he is not going to change much.
Most hatchling are usually nervous about being held but learn later that your not a threat. As they get older, most tolerate it. Others move around like they are not comfortable and a small percentage plain hate it and let you know.
My suggestion is if you sense he is nervous hold for a minute or two then put him down.
Don't try to handle we when in a shed cycle or just fed.
Good luck and enjoy.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #3
Frank Pinello
And he may calm down a little after he gets used to his new surroundings.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
sindragosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Welcome!
All corns are a little different when it comes to how comfortable they are about being handled. At 5 years of age, he's probably set in his ways meaning he is not going to change much.
Most hatchling are usually nervous about being held but learn later that your not a threat. As they get older, most tolerate it. Others move around like they are not comfortable and a small percentage plain hate it and let you know.
My suggestion is if you sense he is nervous hold for a minute or two then put him down.
Don't try to handle we when in a shed cycle or just fed.
Good luck and enjoy.
Thank you for the response! The times I've handled him have been fine so far, he slithers a bit, curiously sniffing me and my computer area where I usually hold him, and he settles down easily most of the time, laying against my arm or my neck.

But I'll absolutely keep your suggestions in mind on gauging how to handle him going forward!

Old 05-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
my snake is a pet. To me it's no different than a dog or cat. I handle him daily. I take him places with me. He's a part of the family. The only exceptions are right after eating, I usually give him a day or 2 to rest, and also for a day or 2 after he sheds.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #6
sindragosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
my snake is a pet. To me it's no different than a dog or cat. I handle him daily. I take him places with me. He's a part of the family. The only exceptions are right after eating, I usually give him a day or 2 to rest, and also for a day or 2 after he sheds.
This is ultimately what I'd like to get my corn into the habit of, being handled daily. It actually turns out I was worrying for nothing, his recent moodiness was because he was starting to shed and I didn't know he was so close to shedding after adopting him.

He's since had a clean shed and is back to being his active self who likes being handled every so often.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
knox
Aside from 15-24 hours after feeding, I handle mine whenever I want. No other rules apply for me. They may go a week without handling, or may get handled every day for a week. It depends on my schedule and desire to interact on any given day.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Seriva Senkalora
I'm wondering how many people might be carrying their goldfishes with them everywhere. Or even how the keepers of cobras have tamed them to not bite when touched... Big python out for a walk anyone?

Long, short story: Snakes are no pets, they don't like to cuddle like a dog or cat does (and honestly even a cat can be cuddled whenever the humans want - they will show it with their claws pretty soon).

Mine are in their vivariums where I can watch them. Like I would do with an aquarium. And that's where they stay all the time - except for feeding, when I have to put one of them into a box.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
knox
I always feed in the enclosure. Have for 40 years. And I love getting them out to hold

Old 06-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
knox
That’s why I would never own venomous. If I can’t hold it, I don’t want to keep it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google