CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

How Much Should I Feed My Corn?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Ocelot
How Much Should I Feed My Corn?

I have a corn thats almost a year old. I usually feed it two fuzzies per week, but wasn't sure if that was enough.

Today the person in the pet shop gave me two furries instead of fuzzies, but my snake ate them, only it took him a bit longer. Is this okay?

Oh, and sometimes when I am defrosting my frozen mice, they burst. How can I stop that and is it still okay to feed the snake with it?

Old 01-06-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
Stix
Not sure about the first part of your post but how are you defrosting your mice? i just leave mine to thaw out and then put them in a bag in some warm water before giving them to my snakes. Sometimes they bleed but thats it. Hope I helped =o)

Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
chisoxfan0971
im all about feeding live fuzzies.....their small enough to not inflict harm on my snakes.....but with my boa i feed him rats...i usually give the rat a good two flicks to the head with my finger....makes them unable to fight back.....

Old 01-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Gintha
The general rule is a food item no larger than 1.5 times the girth of the snake at its widest point. If the fuzzy leaves a noticeable "lump" in the snakes belly it should be fine, but if you are feeding 2 fuzzies you can possibly move up to a sub-adult. I've read many times on here that one prey item is better for the snake than multiple prey items.

As for the bursting bellies, I've only had this happen when the mouse was in hot water for too long of a time period. I put the mice in a tupperware container with VERY hot tap water for 5 minutes max and have not had one burst, with this method, yet. I used to warm them for 10 minutes, and had a couple burst with that.

Old 01-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
snakessss
how do you know how many to feed?

Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 AM   #6
crazyforcorns
ssssnakessss

I believe double up on what you are feeding a few times, then graduate to the next size of feeder.

We'll be feeding ours 1 pinky for 2 more feedings, then we plan to feed 2 pinkies for a few feedings. At least this is the plan. We'll then go up to fuzzies and feed them for awhile..and so on and so on. I read that by 4 months they should be on fuzzies.

Kathy