CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

black rat snake

Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
safire6
black rat snake

So after dinner last night I decided to take a walk at the abandoned golf course near my house. The course has been closed for more than 20 years but the city maintains parts of it for walking trails. Not more than 15 feet from a golf cart path I spot what looked like a black irrigation hose. As I got closer I see it is a large black rat snake! Just what I was hoping to find! As I got very close the snake never tried to move away-he just watched me. I estimate his length at close to 6 feet. (My corn is just a couple inches shy of 5 feet but this guy looked about a foot longer.) I admired him for a long time. This is the first black rat this size I've seen around here. I'll be going back to the golf course more often.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
safire6
then after the black rat, I find a box turtle along the same path. good day for reptile watching!

Old 06-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by safire6 View Post
then after the black rat, I find a box turtle along the same path. good day for reptile watching!
Very cool finds!

Are you sure that wasn't a tortoise, btw?

Cool nevertheless!

Thanx for sharing!!!!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
lazarin
Lucky!! These are great finds!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
DLena
What a nice place to have nearby! Thank you for sharing.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
Myca
Handsome guy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
kdickens
Great pics! I'm not sure we have black rat snakes around here. I live in southern Delaware and we for sure have 'Black Snakes'! They are very black and have a mean temperament. They are just not happy snakes. Probably the same breed but a different mind set! And the turtle looks like an Eastern Box Turtle. Very pretty!

Old 06-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
BeauBoi
Awesome!

Old 06-16-2016, 04:29 PM   #9
safire6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Great pics! I'm not sure we have black rat snakes around here. I live in southern Delaware and we for sure have 'Black Snakes'! They are very black and have a mean temperament. They are just not happy snakes. Probably the same breed but a different mind set! And the turtle looks like an Eastern Box Turtle. Very pretty!
You may be talking about the black racer. I believe they have a meaner temperament than the black rat snake. I believe the turtle is an Eastern box turtle. First one I've seen in a while around here although I'm sure they are common.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google