CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hi There!

Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
kaityk55
Hi There!

Figured it was about time to introduce myself!

My name's Kaitlyn, but on the Internet, people like to call me Kaity (probably has something to do with my nickname). A few weeks ago, I developed this massive obsession with corn snakes. Truthfully, my snake obsession started back in September when I started interning at one of my local zoos in their tropical area. One of my daily tasks is to check on the snakes (which include some really lovely corns) and mist them and it's come to be one of my favorite things to do each day! The whole "what if I could do this every day by having a pet snake" thing hit me earlier this month and whoosh, here I am!

I don't own any snakes currently and my parents are straight up refusing to allow me to have any while I'm living with them. It's fine because I'm graduating from college in May and will likely end up moving out once I find a job. Once I can have a snake, I think I've settled on getting an amber corn (or a very yellow caramel!) as my first snake and should I decide to get a second one, I probably would get a Mexican black kingsnake.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm currently planning to become a zookeeper after I graduate so if anyone is interested in learning about zoos or how my zoo cares for our snakes and other reptiles or anything else, I am happy to chat!

You guys seem like a really cool community and I'm really excited to become a part of it!

Old 11-21-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
Dragonling

Hi hello! If I could go back to when I first graduated high school, that's what I'd have studied too.

Ambers are alright, but why not a Topaz? Hopefully I'l get one or two Caramel mixes from her next summer. Strawberry Caramel is also a possibility, basically Amber but with a different hypo allele.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
kaityk55
While I do love the bright yellows of topazes, I also love corns with distinct saddles (preferably with black borders, but also by having contrasting colors), but topazes have saddles that are fairly close in color like in the picture you show. Also, red eyes kind of weird me out a little and even though the aren't as bright red as an amel, I've noticed that Lava morphs have them.

I'll still keep them on my radar though because honestly, I'd be happy with just about any corn!

Old 11-21-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
Twolunger
When the time comes to purchase an amber you may want to contact SR Corn Snakes. Steve usually has some awesome ambers including amber stripes, motleys, and diffused. Make sure you get exactly what you like in a morph. I've received some morphs as gifts, colors I don't particularly like, but now that I've had them for 3 years they are sweethearts and here forever.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaityk55 View Post
While I do love the bright yellows of topazes, I also love corns with distinct saddles (preferably with black borders, but also by having contrasting colors), but topazes have saddles that are fairly close in color like in the picture you show. Also, red eyes kind of weird me out a little and even though the aren't as bright red as an amel, I've noticed that Lava morphs have them.

I'll still keep them on my radar though because honestly, I'd be happy with just about any corn!
Well to be fair, diffusion removed what saddle borders she had. The markings she did have at a younger age were surprisingly dark though. I've thought about outcrossing her to a nice Lava Okeetee at some point. I don't have many photos of her ancestors, but her Lava paternal grandmother was particularly borderless.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
MysticExotics
Welcome!
I think that would be a great career to get into!

Old 11-23-2017, 03:50 PM   #7
kaityk55
Ah, that makes sense, Dragonling. Still, from looking at Ian's Vivarium, it seems like Lava morphs typically have much lighter borders than the other forms of hypomelanism. Of course, there's always a lot of variation between individuals so you might have a Topaz with dark borders and an Amber with basically no borders. But from what I've seen, if I had to rank the Caramel morphs from darkest to lightest borders, it would go Caramel, Honey, Amber, Gold Dust, Topaz (but then again, I'm far from an expert!). The only reason I would choose an Amber over a Honey is that I don't like the Sunkissed head pattern that much.

I would definitely love to see what would come out of a Topaz × Okeetee cross though!

Thanks, MysticExotics! It has been really fun working in zoos so far!

Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
DLena
Wow! For someone who doesn’t yet own a corn, you have a wealth of understanding concerning morphs. Zookeeping must be an amazing career. Welcome!!

Old 11-24-2017, 03:05 AM   #9
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaityk55 View Post
But from what I've seen, if I had to rank the Caramel morphs from darkest to lightest borders, it would go Caramel, Honey, Amber, Gold Dust, Topaz (but then again, I'm far from an expert!). The only reason I would choose an Amber over a Honey is that I don't like the Sunkissed head pattern that much.
Perhaps next year you'll find a place in that list for Goldens. We'll see if my girls actualy produce, and if any visuals end up looking much like their wild-caught ancestor.

Joe hatched a couple out last year, as well as proving they're not caramel.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
kaityk55
Ooh, shiny!!! I'll definitely have to add Goldens to my list, but I imagine that something special like that would come with a price tag that might be a *little* out of my range.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google