CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Newbie Question

Old 12-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
jrob529
Newbie Question

I'm going to purchase a corn snake in the next month and am debating between a hatchling and younger snake. What are advantages/disadvantages of both? Where should I purchase one? I started doing research and noticed that I can buy one from place that ships them, a national store like petsmart, or local shop. There is also reptile convention in my area next month. Should I wait on the convention? I also noticed there are a lot of different corn snakes. Are they the same but just different colors?

Sorry for all of the misc. questions and thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob529 View Post
I'm going to purchase a corn snake in the next month and am debating between a hatchling and younger snake.
You can't get much younger than a hatchling.

Quote:
What are advantages/disadvantages of both?
I'd prefer starting out with a snake about 3 or 4 months old (or older). By the time they are that age, they have already shed several times, are eating frequently, and any health problems or oddities should have been noticed and addressed by then. I've known many people to even start out with adult snakes. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

Hatchlings sometimes have issues. Sometimes they won't eat right away. They could have unknown health problems, and depending on the person or place you get the snake from, they may not tell you truthfully what's going on with the animal. In some instances, they may not even have a clue themselves. If you start off with a Hatchling, you are taking on more of a risk. It can also produce more of a reward down the road, but could easily end in disaster too. Some people will tell you it's best to start with a hatchling, some will tell you to get an older animal. I am of that 2nd group.

Quote:
Where should I purchase one? I started doing research and noticed that I can buy one from place that ships them, a national store like petsmart, or local shop. There is also reptile convention in my area next month. Should I wait on the convention? I also noticed there are a lot of different corn snakes. Are they the same but just different colors?

Sorry for all of the misc. questions and thanks in advance.
I might buy some guitar strings online, or a camera lens and have it shipped. But I can't bring myself to purchase a Living Animal, have it shipped to me, and hope all goes well. But that's just me. I prefer to actually hold the snake, check it out, and see all records of the animal in person before I buy. I've had 5 different snakes over the past 42 years and all came from local pet dealers in my area.

I have found a lot of pet shops don't really care for the snakes very well, mostly because the person hired doesn't know much about snakes themselves. I am not saying that all PetsMarts or Pet Stores sell crappy pets or employ crappy people, but it's a fact some do. For this reason don't get hasty and run out and buy the first yellow snake with red eyes you see at the cheapest price. Shop Around! Talk to the people. Ask to see their records (feeding charts, shed charts, where the animal came from, who the breeder was, how long has it been in the store, look at the cage it's in, is the heating and lighting and furnishings appropriate? Is the temp right? Is the water fresh and clean or nasty?) If you don't like what you see move on to another place.

I fortunately live in an area (South of Nashville Tn.) where we have a Local Reptile Store, and all they sell are snakes and Lizards. They are really good knowledgeable people, and they have been in business many years. 3 of my 5 snakes have come from them. There also happens to be a PetsMart down the street from me that has a young man working the reptile area, and he is a snake owner himself. On the other hand, there are several other pet stores in the area, and I won't even set foot in them because on previous visits I "Did Not Like what I Saw or Heard."

Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Twolunger
I agree with Karl, I'd look for a corn well started. Someone has already taken the time to make sure a hatchling has eaten and shed multiple times. Plus having moved the corn through the smallest pinkies to a more substantial size. I would prepare the vivarium in advance, making sure all of the snake's needs will be met. Do all your research now. If you can wait for the convention, do so. Keep in mind the corn snakes may be few in number. These conventions seem to be more of a gathering of boa and ball python breeders. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with the corn breeders, if any, and discuss the available corns. Keep in mind, the corns 3 to 6 months old will probably be more expensive than hatchlings, depending upon the morph. I've purchased corns from breeder's websites and had them shipped to me, and I was always satisfied. Most reputable breeders will bend over backwards to make sure the snake meets or exceeds your expectations. If you do a little research on this forum you will find several breeders who will help you find the perfect corn. You can also join the Fauna forum and take advantage of the Board of Inquiry section to check on a breeder's reputation or interaction with customers. Good luck. Let us know what corn you decided upon.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
April0684
Welcome, glad you've joined us here! I'm fairly new to snake keeping myself, that said, I went with an adult. Being new I felt more nervous about starting off with a hatchling. The pet store in my town was going out of business so I got a good deal on her initial setup. They did give me a bit of wrong information but the helpful folks here got me straight on it. All has been going well for me. I've never had an animal shipped to me. It's always made me a bit nervous and prefer being able to see hold the animal for myself before purchasing. Yes, they are all the same, just different color morphs.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Twolunger
You might want to check with your local rescues or animal shelters to see if they have adult corns for adoption. I know most people want to start out with young corns because they want to bond with the snake. But I have adults that were never handled by the breeder except to move to another container when cleaning theirs. They are just as friendly as any of my other corns, and usually come to the front of their container when they see me enter the room. All of them enjoy handling and exploring.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google