CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression thread: Normal Cape African house snake

Old 11-09-2015, 09:23 PM   #11
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagodzinski View Post
Congrats! That's awesome - very cool first handling experience.

Love seeing the pics of him and his shed
Thanks jagodzinski! I'm looking forward to getting some new pics after he eats and has digested.

Yeah, after he nestled in my fingers, when I put him back in his viv, he had his tail wrapped around my ring finger and didn't let go until he finally decided to head for his warm hide. My heart just totally melted.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
Karl_Mcknight
Wow, I just saw this thread. Cute little snake. How big do these guys get? Are they similar in Nature to a Corn Snake?

I have been looking at Mexican Black King snakes myself and may get one next summer.

Good luck with Clyde.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #13
Nanci
I love house snakes!!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #14
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Wow, I just saw this thread. Cute little snake. How big do these guys get? Are they similar in Nature to a Corn Snake?

I have been looking at Mexican Black King snakes myself and may get one next summer.

Good luck with Clyde.
They are similar in nature and care, though they need a 90 degree warm side. They are not known to need a lot of humidity, but some like mine need a humid hide due to incomplete shed-- same kind of humid hide you'd make for a corn. They are known to be docile and are good eaters of f/t mice once started. Over feeding is possible. They are prone to mouth injury from substrate if fed in viv, hence the paper towel substrate. They can be kept on aspen, but definitely not fed on it. They like a lot of clutter for security. The males get about 2.5 to possibly 3 ft and the females are 4 to 5 ft long. They are slender bodied like corns. It is said that they are a bit more bitey and flighty as babies than corns, but that's not true in my case. Clyde was quite patient and mellow during the shed assist, especially since he had just traveled from Idaho in a box last week and I hadn't handled him before!

I love Mexican black kings. I think it is a real blessing to keep and learn about more than one kind of snake. Best wishes on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I love house snakes!!
awesome!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #15
mishima25
Wow, congrats on your new baby. AHS definitely look awesome! Looking forward to see progression pics

Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #16
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishima25 View Post
Wow, congrats on your new baby. AHS definitely look awesome! Looking forward to see progression pics
Thanks!

Old 11-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #17
Karl_Mcknight
now you'll just have to be sure to spend equal time with Cleo and Clyde so as not to make the other jealous

Old 11-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #18
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
now you'll just have to be sure to spend equal time with Cleo and Clyde so as not to make the other jealous
LOL, I'm not sure that one knows that the other exists at this moment, though their pinkies all come from the same big bag o freezer mice!

I am pleased to announce that Clyde just ate a pinky head. It was his first meal here.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
DollysMom
Wish I had more than my phone and the light from a light bulb available, but I got a post shed picture of Clyde tonight. He's a lot more iridescent in real. I tried to get a pic of him on my left hand, but he kept crawling toward and flicking at the lens

This was the first "for fun" handling session since he arrived. He is so sweet. I kept it short and positive, but I could have held him all evening.

He's just a little love bug!

Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
Karl_Mcknight
he looks relatively "Stocky." They must be a bit heavier than corn snakes?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google