CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Palmetto question

Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 AM   #51
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
Rich had Pine Island locale anery's
Actually Bill and Kathy Love came up with that animal, and is now what we call "Charcoal".

Old 12-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #52
chris68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
Actually Bill and Kathy Love came up with that animal, and is now what we call "Charcoal".
Ahh that's right

Old 12-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #53
chris68
"He even noted the similarity of other leucistic rats hets to palmetto hets: the lighter color, and especially a bit of faint lateral silvering"

Het leucistic black rats are called "Rusty" rats; they are a brownish color, visibly different from a normal black rat snake.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #54
NiklasTyreso
What is inportant in producing cornsnakes?
I think they schould be healthy, long living (12-20 years), non aggressively friendly and they should not eat other snakes, as those are is typical traits for good cornsnakes.
If they are good like that, it do not matter if they might have a hybrid ancestor 5 generations back.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #55
Rich Z
Well, not really trying to stir the pot in this long dead thread, but I saw this ad on my FaunaClassifieds site, and just found it downright interesting concerning the thoughts it brings to mind concerning another line of colubrid that carries this distinctive trait of the eyes.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=636188

I will attach the photos from that ad too, just in case it gets deleted some time down the road, as classifieds ads often do.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:07 PM   #56
nancyg
That's. very curious...
Has 'Bug eyed' shown up in any other corns? This is the first time I've seen it attributed to a corn..

before this I've only heard about it in Texas Ratsnakes, but I am not reading tons of forums for other snakes besides corns.

I have heard that the BugEye in the Texas Rats may have a direct link to the leucism - that somehow the Leucistic gene is causing it, (though there are leucistics that did not seem to have it) Does anyone know more about this?

I wonder if that hatchling might be a product of a PalmettoxPalmetto pairing? and that something else is being intensified in a HomoxHomo breeding?

Nancyg

Old 10-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #57
Dragonling
Bug eyes appear to occur occasionally in all lampropeltine leucistic morphs. They have appeared in corn snakes (as well as other NA species) sporadically, but never in close association with a particular mutation before now.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #58
Rich Z
I can say that as best I can recall I have never, ever produced a bug-eyed example of a baby corn snake out of all the many thousands I produced over the years. And that was with a LOT of different genetic types I was working with, so it would have to be a very rare occurrence.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #59
Dragonling
I've only seen a small handful of photos, and they never seem to be the same morph which is why I said it's never been associated with any specific mutation before now. But yes, it seems to be exceedingly rare in non-Palmetto corns, mutant or not.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #60
nancyg
just a thought, the same seller of that bug eye has other palmettos for sale, and mentioned getting them in a shipment... So the other ones being sold may very well be from the same parentage as that Bugeye.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google