CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Progression: Shadow the Eastern Indigo Snake

Old 09-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #51
DLena
You have such a tender heart, DollysMom. Shadow knows you're helping him grow big and strong. And he has Cleo and Clyde to root for him. <3

Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #52
Karl_Mcknight
I did not know that about Indigos. Makes you wonder how does a baby Indigo survive in the wild if it needs help eating. The mortality rate must be extremely high for those snakes. I guess this one is lucky to have somebody there to cram a mouse in. LOL! Keep us posted and let us know when He/She starts eating on his/her own. And that brings up another question - How will you know, unless you see if they will eat on their own first and then if not offer the assist? Is that what you are doing?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #53
DollysMom
Thanks for asking, Karl.

Yes, I'm seeing how he reacts to the mouse, or quail leg, first. I also presume that when he starts to recognize the prey as a meal that he will at least open his mouth on his own. As with all snake care, careful observation of nuanced changes will be helpful.

The breeder tells me that in the wild they are sight hunters and they actively slither around looking for something that moves. So the theory is that without that stimulation the captive bred babies need help. But like all baby snakes in the wild, some won't make it and some will become prey. Since Shadow swallows so well I'm guessing he'd eat on his own in the wild.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #54
DollysMom
Shadow had just pooped and was out and about when I got this picture. While not the greatest, it's the best yet of his lovely baby speckles. I hated to disturb him, but of course I'm not going to let him sit in a poopy house. He's now all nice and clean and sitting in his favorite hide again.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:58 PM   #55
DollysMom
This is not the best picture because I wanted to check on Shadow with minimal disturbance. Someone is going to have his 3rd shed and his 1st shed with me. Smart little guy is spending most of his time in the moss.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #56
kdickens
Okay .... thank goodness for Facebook!
I feel so ashamed I just learned about Shadow! And Gail, I went back and started from the beginning and I've read every post up to the present! I love Shadow! He (I'm gonna call him 'he' ... hehe! hehehe! ... ok, ok ...)
Anyway, great secret! Looks like you've got most everything figured out.
Since he poops more and more often ... I think I'll just watch yours from my house! It's really a cool snake though. Almost looks a bit like a corn snake,
except the color of course, and his eyes! I'm sure you and all of us will enjoy Shadow! (BTW, Shadow is the name I gave a character in my book I wrote a couple years ago! He is a tiny troll in my book, 'The Trolls Of Oakwood') So now I only have one question. About his eating I know you're 'helping' but will there be a time you'll be able to use tongs and shake a mouse in front of him so he'll eat on his own?
I Love this pic!

Old 09-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #57
DollysMom
Thanks Ken. I've never heard of an eastern indigo that doesn't eventually eat on their own. In any case, I'm in it for the long haul and will do what it takes to keep him healthy.

Even though this has long been in the planning, I didn't get serious on a name until the babies had hatched. The name Shadow was inspired by the amazing total solar eclipse I saw in August. I needed a unisex name as well. I didn't like Eclipse as a name. However a solar eclipse casts a moon shadow. So Shadow came to mind. It's also a great name for a black snake.

Thanks for sharing about your tiny troll, Ken. I'd love to see the story someday.

One thing I don't have figured out is where in the house his adult housing will go. It will not fit in my tiny bedroom. That's a bridge I will have to cross. But everyone who knows me knows I'll provide proper housing when he gets bigger. Sometimes I have to take a leap of faith. For a person who plans animal acquisitions with a degree of care that's a little scary, but it's not like I don't have a house. It's just a matter of priority to make space in my little house.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #58
kdickens
I'm sure you'll find just the right spot for his/hers 'forever' home! Keeping in mind the possible end result in size!
But you have a few days to think about that. In ref. to my book, The Trolls Of Oakwood, always avail through Amazon! It's a book you don't have to really think too much as you're reading it!

Old 09-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #59
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
I'm sure you'll find just the right spot for his/hers 'forever' home! Keeping in mind the possible end result in size!
But you have a few days to think about that. In ref. to my book, The Trolls Of Oakwood, always avail through Amazon! It's a book you don't have to really think too much as you're reading it!
Thanks Ken, I'll check out your book.

His final home will be 6 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft which is the generally accepted adult size eastern indigo home. They need a larger home than most snakes of their size in order to thrive. I'm leaning towards Animal Plastics when the time comes. I'll have it custom made. I'm saving up for that, too; even though I don't know where I'll put it!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #60
DollysMom
The shed watch is over. Shadow gave me a perfect shed sometime between 4 and 6 this afternoon. Those eye caps are impressive! This is his first shed with me and the third in his life.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google