CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Help! 10 yr old snake stopped eating for the first time

Old 06-19-2020, 12:30 AM   #1
Bthuynh
Help! 10 yr old snake stopped eating for the first time

Hey guys!

My 10 year old snake started refusing to eat about 2 months ago, and this is the very first time in his life.

He had a healthy shed about a month ago
He drinks water regularly
Seems more active now

Also, he has a scar on his nose from pushing against the enclosure too hard.. which I noticed 2 weeks ago!

**whenever I try to feed him he seems really interested in the mouse, and even pushes his nose against it really hard? But doesn’t open his mouth.. and seems to push the ground beneath the mouse as well.

Has anyone encountered this behavior before? I have another male that sometimes goes 4 months without eating during breeding season which is normal. But this snake has always been such an easy eater! So it seems he has lost a lot of weight and I’m just worried since it is out of character.

Thank you!

Old 06-19-2020, 01:36 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
The behavior sounds like typical breeding season behavior, but the fact that he's lost a lot of weight is worrying. Have you tried making the mouse more appetizing, either with braining it or heating it up extra hot? I would also try putting him in a container with the mouse (if you're not already doing that) instead of feeding him in his enclosure.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:16 AM   #3
Bthuynh
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
The behavior sounds like typical breeding season behavior, but the fact that he's lost a lot of weight is worrying. Have you tried making the mouse more appetizing, either with braining it or heating it up extra hot? I would also try putting him in a container with the mouse (if you're not already doing that) instead of feeding him in his enclosure.
I thought so too, but it’s just worrying since he’s never gone off feeding in the last 10 years..

I have not tried braining it yet, and I’m not too familiar with how to heat it up? But I am getting desperate and will have to give it a shot next week.

Could the scar on his nose be bothering him enough to stop eating as well? He also has a few tiny scale injuries on the largest part of his body from rubbing against a rock I have in his enclosure (I’ve removed it now, but I initially put it there to help him shed.) And I’ve been applying polysporin to the scars for the last 2 weeks. Regardless of the scars, he stopped eating even before he injured himself. I’ve also heard of people trying to feed their injured snakes smaller mice while they are healing?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
Rich Z
Try fuzzy sized live mice if you can get them. Adult snakes find them VERY hard to resist. Might kickstart the feed response.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
behaviour, eating, nose, weight loss