• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Well I think so to. I don't know if they actually did a viral panel (written report). They TOLD me they had tested for paramyxo and IBD and both were negative. But I need this in writing!

I was assured viral testing was done.

I hate to bring this thread back from the dead, however I found this article extremely interesting.

Having seen numerous postings over the last few weeks on RI in pythons, I thought I would post a few comments on the subject. Laura made a good observation a few days ago about environmental stressors in captivity and on the fact that the causitive organisms are ever present.

More than 95% of all captive boas and pythons are already carrying the gram negative bacteria that are the cause of most RI’s in captive boids. If one of the pythons in a collection has an RI, then the entire collection has already been exposed to that causative organism well before the symptoms showed. This would be primarily from previous exposure from the source it was acquired, or from simple maintenance procedures within your own collection. The reason that these organisms typically don’t cause issues is that unless the animal is physically or environmentally stressed in some manner, the organism is kept in check by the snakes immune system. The main stressors include sub-optimal temps, high or low; sub-optimal humidity, high or low; or lack of security causing nervousness and stress, etc., to name a few. A healthy, non-stressed python will not acquire an RI from contact with an infected python. If it does, then it is under the same stressors that compromised the initial infected python originally.

Seeing that the organisms are already present, if RI’s are showing up in a collection, then look for the stressor source that is compromising the animal and weakening it’s immune system to the point that the bacteria are able to multiply unchecked. Too low humidity is probably almost as common a stressor as temps that are too low or too high as far as respiratory issues with pythons. The biggest issue is in the winter when temps are kicked up slightly in collections and the warm cage interiors rapidly drive humidity out into the low humidity room. Because the amount of water vapor the air can hold increases rapidly with temperature, the relative humidity actually decreases rapidly with increasing temperature, unless the evaporation potential can be met. This means that unless the rate of evaporation can keep up with the demand for moisture brought on by the rising air temperature, there will be a rapid net loss in relative humidity within the cage. Unless you have a good source of cage humidity in the drier winter months, you can sometimes risk RI’s in your collection even when maintaining optimal temps. And that brings up the point that you should never lower humidity on a python with an RI. Low humidity air dries the lung tissue of tropical pythons and this damages the tissue making it more susceptible to bacterial infection. I’m not saying keep it overly high, but in the 60% to 75% range depending on the species. When temps are good, sometimes the appearance of initial RI symptoms are caused by lung irritation due to low humidity, and many times it can be resolved before progressing into an actual RI by raising the cage humidity and maintaining temps in the proper range. Usually this initial phase manifests itself as opened mouth breathing without the presence of heavy mucous as is seen with an actual RI. However, observe closely so the appropriate action can be taken if the problem progresses.

Nope and they are still sending me bills through for animals that aren't even mine. I have been on the phone to them god knows how many times...

I HAVE and I keep getting appologetic phone calls from the practice managers telling me they are oh so sorry blah blah blah. That doesn't help, it's too late now.

He is dead... has been for over a year.

However I am also now faced with another winter RI thats turning pretty nasty, I recieved the fresh medication today so I will keep you guys updated on Minerva.

Nope and they are still sending me bills through for animals that aren't even mine. I have been on the phone to them god knows how many times...

A few years back, I took my doberman to a vet and came home with him.
The next morning, very early, I got a call from the vet saying my doberman passed away that night.
I said 'No he didn't he's sitting right here'. They fumbled their words and then apologized and hung up. They had no clue whose dog it was at that point and the poor thing probably died being called the wrong name.
It wasn't even a doberman that passed away.

I dislike doctors and vets the same because 9 out of 10 times they do nothing to help me but send me a big bill for their nothing-ness.

Back