CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Getting tired of it...

Old 01-16-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
dionythicus
Getting tired of it...

I'm getting frustrated with the direction this forum seems to be taking. It seems that since the blow up over the chat issue, many of the greats have gone and left the less equipped to run the show. I don't mean people like Mike, Tom, Dean, Joejr, Jazz, Susan and several more who have been around for a long time and are still the same fantastic people to talk to and share info with. I can't name them all, because I don't remember them all. I mean the ones who have come along in the past few months (or so it seems) and are picking on newcomers and claiming "troll!" every chance they get. I am on here every day and I am finding myself asking why I bother. I haven't read many appealing threads in quite some time. I am bored with the quality of threads around here and offended by some of the attacking I see. Maybe someone needs to kick my butt and get me back on track, but I'm not all that impressed with the site anymore. I'll be around, but my enthusiasm has waned.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Checkerbelly
I wouldn't have known there was anything different if you didn't mention it. I like the site just fine. Sorry for being contradictory. Maybe I'm just blind to the drama.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus
I'm getting frustrated with the direction this forum seems to be taking. It seems that since the blow up over the chat issue, many of the greats have gone and left the less equipped to run the show. I don't mean people like Mike, Tom, Dean, Joejr, Jazz, Susan and several more who have been around for a long time and are still the same fantastic people to talk to and share info with. I can't name them all, because I don't remember them all. I mean the ones who have come along in the past few months (or so it seems) and are picking on newcomers and claiming "troll!" every chance they get. I am on here every day and I am finding myself asking why I bother. I haven't read many appealing threads in quite some time. I am bored with the quality of threads around here and offended by some of the attacking I see. Maybe someone needs to kick my butt and get me back on track, but I'm not all that impressed with the site anymore. I'll be around, but my enthusiasm has waned.
I know what you mean. Don't get me wrong, i think everybody on here is great, but i do see people geting put down quite a bit. I usually just avoid it.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
tyflier
Quote:
You know, I haven't been a member for nearly as long as most of the "greats" around here, yourself included. But I completely understand what you mean. There seems to be a whole lot of "attacking", and ALOT of it is very personal. It simply seems uncalled for.

There seems to be alot of gangpiling based on difference of opinion. Alot of people seem to want to jump on various bandwagons, and ridicule and persecute anyone that doesn't join them, rather than discuss the various pros and cons of each different opinion.

The reality is, there are many, many different ways to properly care for cornsnakes, and the most popular ways are not the ONLY ways. Being popular and being right are not the same thing, and I think alot of people don't realize that. There is a whole world of information out there, and there are literally hundreds of different ways to care for cornsnakes, and MOST of them have the best interests and health of the snakes in mind. Just because my way is different than your way doesn't make ether one of them better or mor right than the other.

It is really sad to see so many new members completely turned away because of different opinions. These forums are supposed to be an avenue for the free exchange of ideas and opinions, and it's getting to a point where if you have a different opinion, you can really get jumped on by some of the members. And your opinion doesn't even have to wrong...just not popular.

And like you, I am not referring to those that seem to be willing to help anyone and everyone. People like jazzgeek, Roy Munson, diamondlil, yourself, fenderplayer, and a good many others...these people are knowledgable and they are always willing to help. But what is more important is that they are willing to accept different opinions without the need to make one right and the other wrong...just different. And they always do it with respect, and restraint...something that is lacking in more and moe replies, lately.

I'm not going anywhere. I enjopy this forum too much, overall. But I would like to see some attitude adjustments made.

I don't intend to offend anyone with this post, and if it DOES offend you, well...sadly it probably means I touched a nerve, and you should re-examine the manner in which you reply at times. I knwo I am among the newer members here, but...I don't think that should matter. Respect should be given, regardless of how popular your opinion is. As long as what you post isn't factually and scientifically proven to be wrong, it should be respected as an opinion and a different avenue of exploration.

This is, of course, another opinion, of which I seem to have an endless supply...

Old 01-16-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
snake5007
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier
You know, I haven't been a member for nearly as long as most of the "greats" around here, yourself included. But I completely understand what you mean. There seems to be a whole lot of "attacking", and ALOT of it is very personal. It simply seems uncalled for.

There seems to be alot of gangpiling based on difference of opinion. Alot of people seem to want to jump on various bandwagons, and ridicule and persecute anyone that doesn't join them, rather than discuss the various pros and cons of each different opinion.

The reality is, there are many, many different ways to properly care for cornsnakes, and the most popular ways are not the ONLY ways. Being popular and being right are not the same thing, and I think alot of people don't realize that. There is a whole world of information out there, and there are literally hundreds of different ways to care for cornsnakes, and MOST of them have the best interests and health of the snakes in mind. Just because my way is different than your way doesn't make ether one of them better or mor right than the other.

It is really sad to see so many new members completely turned away because of different opinions. These forums are supposed to be an avenue for the free exchange of ideas and opinions, and it's getting to a point where if you have a different opinion, you can really get jumped on by some of the members. And your opinion doesn't even have to wrong...just not popular.

And like you, I am not referring to those that seem to be willing to help anyone and everyone. People like jazzgeek, Roy Munson, diamondlil, yourself, fenderplayer, and a good many others...these people are knowledgable and they are always willing to help. But what is more important is that they are willing to accept different opinions without the need to make one right and the other wrong...just different. And they always do it with respect, and restraint...something that is lacking in more and moe replies, lately.

I'm not going anywhere. I enjopy this forum too much, overall. But I would like to see some attitude adjustments made.

I don't intend to offend anyone with this post, and if it DOES offend you, well...sadly it probably means I touched a nerve, and you should re-examine the manner in which you reply at times. I knwo I am among the newer members here, but...I don't think that should matter. Respect should be given, regardless of how popular your opinion is. As long as what you post isn't factually and scientifically proven to be wrong, it should be respected as an opinion and a different avenue of exploration.

This is, of course, another opinion, of which I seem to have an endless supply...
Beautifully put!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
PtDnsr
Quote:
I'll be around, but my enthusiasm has waned.
That's a good way to put it. And I will also agree that it seems more prominent since the chat thread exploded and made a mess. I know that I still come around and still have a great deal of respect for many people on this forum but it's not the community that it used to be. We are missing out because some of the "greats" have left IMO. I still come around on a daily basis and all but it takes a lot more for me to post now. Be it people attacking eachother or generally being ungrateful and asking the same question over that I've already answered (has happened). To take a leaf from the chat thread we're all just pissing in eachothers Wheaties. I'd love to make it better but I'm not quite sure how, so for now I'll just keep coming and looking and contributing where I feel it will be taken seriously, appreciated and not be attacked.

~Katie

Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
Roy Munson
Quote:
I'm getting frustrated with the direction this forum seems to be taking...
I feel the same way. My enthusiasm for the hobby has never been stronger, but I can't say the same regarding my enthusiasm for this forum. It's hard for me to describe my feelings about why this has happened. The trolls and agitators are only a part of it. Sometimes I wonder if it's some kind of culture shock. You and I were used to seeing many of the same, familiar members doing their usual job of making this place great. Now they're elsewhere, there are a bunch of new usernames, and this place doesn't feel like "home" anymore.

But I think there's more to it than that. I completely agree that the quality of thread topics has declined considerably in only a couple of months. The atmosphere just seems sillier around here. I think there's a good reason for that, and I hope I don't offend anyone by pointing it out. There are two categories of posters here: the hobbyist/breeders and the pet-keepers. I place myself in the first group, but I have nothing against the second. I was in that group at one time. However, pet-keepers generally do not have the same passions for the same aspects of the hobby as the hobbyist/breeders do. There's nothing wrong with that. Just as they are unconcerned with the interactions between the striped and motley genes, we are unconcerned with how often Snakie is pooping. Six months ago, the hobbyist/breeder to pet-keeper ratio was probably 40:60. Today, it feels more like 10:90. This isn't the direction I would have hoped for, but it is what it is.

Here are my own conclusions as to how I'm going to proceed. I can't imagine a time when I won't contribute here both financially and in terms of forum participation. I will never completely give up on a place that has meant as much to me as this place has. But I will engage in the serious hobbyist/breeder discussions wherever they are being hosted-- here or elsewhere. And I will commit time and resources to any place where the hobbyist/breeders' interests come first. This isn't an elitist position; it is one of preference. We're all entitled to our preferences.

I don't know if I deserve to be in your "fantastic people" group, but thanks anyway. You belong in that group as much as anyone does.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
Checkerbelly
I'm tired of people referring to these "greats". What does that make me and 99% of the rest of the users of this site? Ingrates?

Even the "greats" attack.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkerbelly
I'm tired of people referring to these "greats". What does that make me and 99% of the rest of the users of this site? Ingrates?

Even the "greats" attack.
I think it's a reference to the people who genuinely made this site great before you or I had ever stumbled across this place. I'm not going to list them; many of us know where they are and where to find them. You and I aren't ingrates, but we're standing on the shoulders of corn-giants. (As much as I actually believe in that last statement, its silliness should shine some light onto my perspective on the concept of "corn snake politics". )

Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
BeckyG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
this place doesn't feel like "home" anymore.
Well said, Dean. That is exactly how I feel. It just doesn't feel like home any more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google