CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Getting tired of it...

Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #21
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkerbelly
I'm tired of people referring to these "greats". What does that make me and 99% of the rest of the users of this site? Ingrates?

Even the "greats" attack.
Well, everyone has their own criteria regarding what deserves the title "great". I think what many people are referring to are members who have years of experience in keeping, breeding, raising, genetics, health issues, etc. and were always quick to help out and not "attack". These members also sat around this forum in it's infant stages just waiting to help people so this site could grow. Of course, there are many others here that don't have that experience that are also "great" in their own way.
However, word games aside. I have to agree with Dean. I think I'll always participate here to a degree, but the ratio for experienced keeper topics to beginner/chit chat topics has changed. There is no denying things have changed. Depending on how you feel, that could be good, bad, or neither. I do strongly feel that due to varying factors, this site has lost many members that had an immeasurable wealth of experience and proved they were happy to share it and I'm just not sure how it's going to recover from that. But like I said, maybe that wasn't the direction people wanted this site to go anyway, so who am I to say that's "bad". I go to whatever forums have the flavor of what I'm in the mood for.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #22
Tula_Montage
The source!

This is where I come in with more controversial crap...

Yesterday I joined the new "private" experts ONLY forum xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com - Run by Canadian breeder Caroline Piquette.

Within typing one word into chat (which btw was "evening") I was banned. Simply because one little boy decided he didn't want me there. And so the heard followed. I have the chat logs from the last few nights in CCCorns chatroom - And its rather disgusting how much of a concern I seem to be.

Nontheless I busied away on the new forums, rather enjoying what it had to offer. I made literally 2 posts, a member introduction and one on my lavender Lacey. Both were well manned and received well.

HOWEVER low and behold logging in today I couldn't - Then I find this:

Sorry Elle but I can't keep you here.

I know you are here to put trouble. Just you first thread show an attitude I
don't like and don't want here. A lot of peoples work hard for this to be a
peaceful place and I can't take chances with you. So I have to remove you as a member here.

Caroline Piquette

I would NOT have mad this public but I am appalled at the utter contempt, ignorance and snobbery from certain members on that forum. Namely the ones who find themselves too great to visit this site anymore - The abandoners you could say.

I understand that my first impressions on everyone were terrible almost a year ago - but when was the last time I was officially associated with any trouble on CS.com

If you ask me - the new site is no better than here. If you do join to escape the newbies here, you will only be faced with ignorant "experts" who want it their way or nothing at all. I do not blame Caroline for banning myself, she only has the best interests of the source in mind - and I'm sure the pressure to get shot of me from the experts was too much I feel sooooo rejected

Old 01-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #23
bjc7487
ive had my snakes for about 5 yrs now, and just joined this forum, and im very reluctant to even post on here because of reading all the negative things people say when they conflict opinions. seems like the newbies have to almost be initiated or something. i like this forum and i like to read all the informative threads and the pictures, but the drama i see on here sometimes is just annoying, it gets in the way of the actual purpose of the forums.

Old 01-16-2007, 08:16 PM   #24
Dreqqus
wow that sucks. I'm a lurker rarely post but i hadn'te really notived much of a change, some faces missing but that happens. And yeah the snobbery of that other sit is well beyond amazing. Wow!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #25
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc7487
ive had my snakes for about 5 yrs now, and just joined this forum, and im very reluctant to even post on here because of reading all the negative things people say when they conflict opinions. seems like the newbies have to almost be initiated or something. i like this forum and i like to read all the informative threads and the pictures, but the drama i see on here sometimes is just annoying, it gets in the way of the actual purpose of the forums.
If you think this is bad, Join "the source"!!!!

I honestly love this forum... I make it damn obvious as I contribute something everyday - be it friendly blabble, pictures, advise or just a welcome to a new member. It all adds up, and shaped this forum into the friendly community it is.

Sometimes little things are blown well out of proportion - ie that chat room incident. That obviously got people going - thus those angry members sick of the nooobie infancy created their own little retreat. I hope its everything they want it to be.

But for those that don't seem to qualify for that, then CS will be your best EVER source for consnake information. I'm stickin here... I like the remaining members who contribute so much ie Mike, Katie, Lore, Dean, Chris, Dale etc etc... I could go on but these guys posts make my day

Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 PM   #26
CaptBogart
I'm for once finding it hard to write a decent reply. I've already deleted and started over a couple times... This, for me, is a fun site. I don't really get involved in the basic, repetitive, threads anymore because after awhile I figured out that most people hear what they want to hear and are hoping at least someone will agree with their views for self validation. I rather like the photo gallery, and in the Genetics forum I still stumble across old threads with valuable info I didn't know. I've actually found some where a now common morph was "discovered", (quite entertaining reading). If a thread shows lots of replies I have to check it out... like driving slow past an accident out of morbid curiosity. For serious conversation though, I have to go elsewhere, and that's just the facts. I lose interest having to wade through the off topic rants, hijacking, and petty bickering, to the point it's more irritating than helpful. As far as gleaning useful information for a pet keeper, it's time well spent reading repetitive posts...

Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #27
ghosthousecorns
I'm torn in two. I like the other forum, I like it here. But this is home, this is where I have been a member since '04, this is where I feel welcome and feel like what I have to say carries some weight. I really miss the people that left, but they must have had their reasons. I'm not much of a computer junkie so it's hard to belong to both sites and sit on a fence... I've always been rather tolerant of newbies and their questions anyway, and I like the silly threads on here like your top five bands. I guess cs will never be quite the same but it's still a good place IMO

Old 01-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #28
pkeafergus
Well - I am a newbie who has read alot but has very little experience - I have fed our little guy 4 times without problems and I read alot of posts here but do not answer because I would just be repeating something I've read and I know someone who has actual experience will answer. I try to respond occassionally to things I can comment on - or pictures I really like. I hang around to learn - in case I ever have a problem - maybe I will have already read about it and have an idea what I need to do so I won't be paniced looking for info. I scan and then tend to ignore the posts that get everyone in an uproar.
I just want to thank those of you that are here - I am sure that what I have learned here has helped make our new pet problem free so far and hopefully he'll stay that way! I would have liked to have seen what this site was like before...as everyone keeps saying - I would probably still be a bit of an observer since I am not a breeder anyway - but I think there is still enough knowledge here for any problems I might come across as a pet owner and I enjoy looking at everyone's pictures - esp the ones that are in focus!

Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #29
CornCrazy
OK...I really don't know where to begin. I, for one, have been very busy at work and have not had much time to be on any forum lately. I've been really missing it. I used to really enjoy being able to "talk" with people who had the same passion that I do.

I do not, however, miss all of the nastiness that had really gotten out of hand prior to and after the chat incident. I do not believe it was the chat incident that caused everyone to leave, either. I think that was just the "straw" on the camel's back...

This site has been changing quite a bit over the last year or so. We've gotten more and more trouble makers. Honestly, it breaks my heart. I miss the "home" atmosphere that this forum used to have.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #30
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc7487
im very reluctant to even post on here because of reading all the negative things people say when they conflict opinions.
Links, pls.

Views and opinions expressed in this post are aimed at no one person in particular.

I hear all this talk about the terrible negative things that go on and all the snobbery, newbie bashing, and on and on, but can I see some references?

Now, I know that some of this sort of thing goes on (as it does on nearly every forum ever in existence, it seems). Maybe, it's just that I haven't been able to spend nearly the amount of time as I used to on the forum, but I don't see most of this stuff going on. I still look through the husbandry and health sections and try to answer a few questions if nobody else has answered them yet, but I must just be completely missing all the antics that seem to always get people worked up.

Mabye it's just me, but can anybody, off the top of there head, cite more than 1 or 2 of these "negative" posts/blow-ups that they are referring to (excluding the chat fiasco)? The only thing that I can remember are the multiple threads similar to this one, where everyone loves to moan and complain about how people are being negative and harsh with how they answer questions. If it weren't for these threads, I'm not sure I would notice it.

Don't get me wrong, I have definitely noticed the changes around the forum with respect to many newer members who seem to be less technical and more casual members, which tends to cause some friction at times. It just seems that, to an extent, everyone likes to make a mountain out of a mole hill regarding the "intermittent" negativity.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google