CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Tula_Montage
Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Some of you may know the story of Windsor. I got him about 2 months ago as a non feeder royal. He has struck fed perfectly for me every time hes been offered since I got him and gained 100 grams. Anyway, soon after he developed a respiratory infection - who knows how and who really cares. The point is I rushed him to the vet and got him on broad spectrum anti biotics straight away. These did not work. Hes to go back to the vet at the end of the week but I'm not sure I or he can wait.

I found this when I went to check on him tonight...

Blood splattered all over the walls

I don't know whats causing this. Theres no cuts inside or outside his mouth - I checked. His RI is hitting the poor creature with a vengance. Hes also noticeably swollen the whole length of his body. Hes an underweight royal, and has lost 50 grams since developing the RI - the picture shown illustrates just how swollen he is... His tummy should be flat and a bit sunken in since hes not an ideal weight.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
texastailfeathers
I don't know a darn thing about snake lungs, but if he were a mammal I'd say he is coughing up blood.

Poor thing. That can't be good, whatever it is.

Wishing you both the best. I know you have been very proud of his progress. He's a gorgeous guy...he deserves to get better.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Tula_Montage
I think it's from his lungs... and I don't think he will make it :'(

Old 11-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Rich in KY
Poor guy!

I would agree. It looks as though he has been "coughing" blood.

He appears to be in poor shape. I hope he gets better.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Tula_Montage
It's been suggested by a friend whos a herp vet in England that its most likley pneumonia. At this late stage theres not much that will work.

I don't care what anyone thinks or says, but for this poor creature to be in this state the RI had to have been advanced before I got him. Heres what the vet says...

"if its coughing up blood broad spectrum antibiotic like baytril and amikin wont do the trick probably"

"you will need a VERY good vet and lots of money and even then theres not much hope"

"it will need xray and samples checked to find out what antibiotic to try but I recon its very slim chance he would pull through"

Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
starsevol
Oh Elle, I'm so sorry!
Poor little guy....
I don't know what to tell you but you and Windsor are in my thoughts....

Old 11-06-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Rich in KY
I guessed from the blood and the amount of swelling that it was serious.

How sad. Poor lil guy.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #8
texastailfeathers
Awwww... I hope he does make it!

What are the temp/humidity requirements for a RI? Did you lower his humidity? Maybe his lungs are dry and getting irritated...?

EDIT: Wow, a lot of people posted while I was writing that message. Pneumonia...man, that sucks. I will be hoping for the best. *hugs*

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
MerlinsPop
Elle... I'm sorry to hear your struggles to save the little thing has taken a turn for the worse. We all know you tried your best to get him to thrive. It is possible that his time as a non-feeder left him too vulnerable to survive even a minor issue.

I'm very sorry. Recalling some of you earlier posts about him, he knew you were trying.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM   #10
tricksterpup
Elle,
I would see if the Vet will see you either tonight or tomorrow. I would not wait til Friday. But yes, if its as bad as it looks it would have killed off a Mammal a long time ago. Now the swelling, I am assuming he is retaining fluids?
If he does pass away, please and I do mean please get a necropsy done ASAP. You really should find out what is causing this. Please, you have some wonderful boids in your collection and I would be afraid that this might be passed along to them. So wash and sanitize hands and everything you touch for the next month.

( you are talking to the guy who wouldn't stick his hands in his reef tank when he was sick with a cold or flu.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google