CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Taken a turn for the worst. I need help/advice..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #81
MerlinsPop
Elle - you and Windsor fought the good fight and you gave him every possible chance to make it. Sometimes the odds are just stacked too heavily in the other direction.

Get to the bottom of this for sure, but don't doubt that you did your best for him, including breaking your own heart to end his suffering.

Hugs

Old 11-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #82
a_god_s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Windsor... September 06 - November 07. I'm sorry I was not with you when you needed me most...
Elle, I hate to contradict you but I must. You were there when he needed you most and did for him the best you could.

That's the truth, I know it, your friends here on the forum, know it and in your heart, you know it too.

Windsor ..... September 06 - November 07. Gone but not forgotten.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #83
Tula_Montage
Thanks again for all the kind words. Unfortunately I don't feel better, the grieving process will take a long time (and an endless supply of cigs).

I am now operating a "lockdown" where nothing comes in and nothing goes out. I suggest that anyone else who has had Windsor in contact with themselves or their snakes do the same thing (advised by the vet as they are highly concerned about his condition). Theres a paper trail back to where we assume the virus originated, but until I have conclusive evidence from the necrospy in my hands its all assumption.

Talked to the vet today about the autopsy performed last night and there was sever advanced lung disease, deffinatley secondary infection and not developed in the short time in my care. From the looks of things, the virus has a long dormancy period. It took exactly 6 weeks to kill Windsor which is not long as he went rapidly downhill, but how long was that virus present in him before he showed symptoms? These questions I hope the necrosy can answer as there are obviously concerns for other specimens not in my collection.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #84
Tula_Montage
The plot thickens...

A friend had her carpet python admited on Friday for critical care after I noticed he had the same symptoms that Windsor had - they literally developed overnight. The vet is extremely concerned that this is indeed viral. Theres also serious concerns that this is the first public reports of an outbreak of PARAMYXOVIRUS.

It has been reported by a vet down south in England that she has seen cases of the virus frequently in the last few months, and that it originated from an American breeder who found the virus in his collected after a breeder in Scotland has a batch of snakes imported from him. Co-incidently a known Scottish breeder recently sold up due to his snakes dropping dead for no reason.

Again this is all theory but the cooincidence is just weird. Heres a thread on a UK forum posted by my friend Lynn who had her carpet python admited. She explains a bit more about the situation but it is quite critical and we have been advised by the vets to cease all trade in Scotland and warm others of it so this virus does not turn into an epidemic!

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...-outbreak.html

Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #85
a_god_s
Quote:
The plot thickens... an outbreak of PARAMYXOVIRUS.
warn others of it so this virus does not turn into an epidemic!

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/snake...-outbreak.html
That sounds like one NASTY flu bug.

It doesn't seem like it is infectious to humans but it sure is insideous to snakes. I hope this doesn't affect the rest of your collection. I've read that you had kept him separate. That is good practice anytime you have an illness, but this one seems to move quickly.

I get confused, can you treat a virus? I know with an infection you can use antibiotics, is there anything other than time?

Old 11-10-2007, 05:04 PM   #86
Tula_Montage
If we cannot treat viruses in humans, do you think we can cure reptile viruses?

The virus is infectious to humans but each strain is species specific.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #87
tricksterpup
Elle,
I am truly sorry to hear about the death but it seemed it was going to happen. When a snake is coughing up blood well its days are numbered.

I am now concerned for your collection, this reminds me of the parvo virus that hit my household and took out my ferrets.

Personally you may have to wash everything before handling all your snakes now. I mean, hands and even your cloths. Wash everything in diluted bleach solution.
The parvo virus I dealt with, if I touch one animal and then go home, it could spread to mine, via my hands or cloths. It can last for years in the house. So I could not keep another ferret for another 2-3 years. The animal could live for a few years with it and then Wham, it hits and is dead in 2 weeks.

Now this sounds like what happened to you and also herps tend to last longer than a mammal with an illness. What will kill a ferret in 2 weeks a snake could last 4-6 months before it passes.

Sadly, my concern now is that if its a similar type of virus it may have already spread through out your collection. What could I recommend besides the hands washing is maybe even getting latex gloves and keeping them in your herp room and using them to handle your animals. Take off the gloves and only use a pair for each animal.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #88
Tula_Montage
I am taking all the necessary precautions and being extremely OCD in regards to my hygiene.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #89
Rich in KY
Quote:
I am taking all the necessary precautions and being extremely OCD in regards to my hygiene.
Good I wouldn't want you or anymore of your snakes to get sick.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #90
Tula_Montage
The fact is if it's this virus then its already in my collection and no amount of bleach or hand washing will help.

Thankfully hes only been in contact with 8 other snakes residing at my house (although hes been in quarantine)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google