CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding adult corn 5 mice every week?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
msconana
Feeding adult corn 5 mice every week?

I'll be getting a foster snake next week for a local reptile rescue. I'm hoping it's a particular male corn that my 5 year old son and I both really liked. I posted in another thread about him earlier this week and something came up that I'm curious about. I've been wandering the forum but am reading conflicting thoughts on the matter.

This snake is about 5'8" or so and is quite heavy. He's more of an "O" shape rather than an upside down "U". He doesn't look hippy though, when I saw him he was smooth, head to tail. I was told that he eats 5 f/t adult mice every week. Seems like a lot and from what I've read, most of you agree--yes?

I think weaning him slowly off so many mice would be better than going cold turkey. I'm new to snakes and sympathetic to feeling like you're starving ;-) plus he'll be stressed from the move from rescue (2+ years there) to my house. If I get him I'll get pics and weight (I'm also curious as to what kind of morph he is).

It sounds, from what I've read here that an adult corn should eat 1 adult mouse every week to 10 days--is that true even if they are on the bigger side--length wise, like this guy?

Does anyone have a healthy weight adult of a similar length? What do you feed?

All advice is appreciated!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Nanci
We generally feed more by weight than by length. My adult males are all in the 500-625 gram range. I think the oldest are about five. The larger ones get one adult mouse, 25-28 grams, every three weeks. The snakes that are in the 450-550 gram range get one adult mouse every two weeks. I weigh the snakes at each feeding and like to see about a 5 gram weight gain. If they lose for more than a couple times in a row, they go back to every two weeks. None of the snakes fed every two weeks maintain their weight; they all are increasing in weight.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
msconana
Thanks for the info! I googled the grams and your snakes are about a pound then (I'm so new to this!). When I bought my baby boy anery in April the store told me that they typically get to be 2-2.5 lbs as adults. The guess that the rescue had was that this snake weighed between 4-5 lbs LOL--WOW!! I was told several ages for him, so I'm not sure, but he's somewhere between 5-10 years old.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Nanci
I've seen a couple corns over 1000 grams. I babysat one for a year. I fed him a jumbo adult mouse every two weeks, and he gained weight rapidly.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Nanci
It sounds like your foster snake could benefit from an exercise program. You can have him climb stairs, just crawl in general, either inside out outside (if outside, watch VERY carefully for birds and don't get more than a foot or so away from him). You can let him swim in the bathtub- watch the drain and faucet. You can have him do the cornsnake treadmill. That's hard to explain!! You have him move in a figure eight around the fingers of one hand while "leading" him with your other hand.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
msconana
I didn't know that mice came in a bigger size than Adult! Maybe that's what he needs then. My husband just suggested that he's maybe not a full corn. Interesting idea. He has (to me) strange markings. He's the orange/red/black of a lot of corns but the first foot or so of his body (head/neck) has stripes that then turn into the typical pattern of most corns.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
msconana
I think so too, on the exercise part---I'm looking forward to playing with him, he's a lot calmer than my baby! Stairs...I bet baby boy would like those too! I've often wondered what the treadmill thing was but I've been doing that with the little one as well, he's a very fit little guy ;-) I just love holding him at the end of the day, so calming. Thank you for your help! I never realized that some people gave their snakes supervised outside time--great idea--at least for older snakes. I assume a young one would bolt? They are so quick!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google