CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Any more ideas on how to get this little guy to eat?

Old 08-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
Roy Munson
For the six out-of-egg (never fed) hatchlings I received a couple of weeks ago via FedEx from Rich, I had great success following Kathy Love's instructions from The Manual:

"...Be sure that it's housed alone in a comfortable cage evironment..., one that's not so large that the foold gets lost... and is never found by the snake.... Keeping their crepuscular (active at dusk) nature in mind, gently introduce the tiniest live pinky you can obtain into the cage just in front of the entrance to the hidebox around sunset. Quickly vacate the room to avoid spooking... and do not return to check progress until at least the next morning." (Emphasis mine.)

I left the snakes alone for three nights to acclimate to their new surroundings (~4 quart tupperware), and they all took their pinkies on night four. Their next meal was F/T pinkies offered just after sunset, and they all took them without incident. They just ate their fourth meal (third round of F/Ts) last night. I'll probably continue this way for a few more feedings, then start placing each in a feeding container to eat. If you use paper towel or newspaper substrate in their first tiny cages, there is no risk associated with feeding them there.

I wouldn't handle (or bathe) your snake at all before your next attempt.

-Dean

Old 08-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #12
terrysangel79
I tried just about everything to get one of my month old hatchlings to eat...It had eaten with the previous keepers, and then I got it, and it was about 3 weeks before I finally got her to eat...I ended up putting her back in her deli cup, with NOTHING but the pinky in the container with her, and put her in a darkish place, this was at nighttime also....She ate it right up!!

The only things I can suggest, which I'm sure you've either already tried, or has been previously suggested is this...

Put it in a small container, that it can't get out of, and place it in a dark place

Try feeding in the evening/night (snakes are generally more active at this time)

Hope this helps, and I hope you get the little guy? eating soon!!!

terrysangel79

Old 08-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #13
TandJ
I would definantly try a live pinkie, a day old pinkie is small and the hatchling will probably devour the pink.. Dark spot, over night in a small container ( deli cup ) will probably do.. The corn needs its peace and queit when they are young a skittish. I just went through a similair situation myself, although I scented the live pinky with a live anole lizard.. The lord in a side, the little feller poked its nose at the pinky as if intrested ( was happy to see that sign ) and then I placed the container in one of my dark back rooms and kaBOOM, off to town the little feller went.. The Deli cup was about the size of the medium sized salads cup you would get from Safeway or Von's from there deli section..

Regards..

Old 08-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #14
TandJ
"The lord in a sidecar, the little feller poked its nose at the pinky as if intrested ( was happy to see that sign ) and then I placed the container in one of my dark back rooms and kaBOOM, off to town the little feller went.." Is what it was supposed to have read

I wish we had the ability to edit our posts for errors..

Regards

Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #15
MegF.
Become a contributor and you can!!

Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 AM   #16
Rorryy
All I can say is Good Luck

Our first Baby Corn we got from Petco as well. When I picked her out she/he was doing all the "right" things, active, tongue flikcering etc. I brought her home with all the amenities they suggested and she did fine for the 1st 2 1/2 weeks. She fed and pooped. Next she ate a half a pink, then refused any subsequent offers. Our baby then died with a live pinkie in her feeding "box" (feeding a live one was suggested to me as well) It is devistating to wake up to a dead snake. My suggestion (not expert by any means) Have your baby checked out by a vet. I have since aquired a baby snow corn from the same PETCO and it seems to be doing great (2 good feeds and poohs). They say some just arent meant to be. Good luck and I hope your baby makes it!
Angela

Old 08-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #17
Rorryy
"snake cam"

I set up my old ass video cam next to my viv. I use a little sterilite container with holes drilled all the way around. I then place the snake and the pinkie within the sterilite which i place inside the viv. I then put a "blankie" over 3/4 of the sterilite so I can view the goings on through a small TV. Then I get to watch without disturbing. Results have been exilerating!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google