CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Mites: Nix vs. RID?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
maxfox426
Mites: Nix vs. RID?

So, I found a couple mites on my rack. I am 99% sure they are just wood mites from the sphagnum moss, but I went out looking to purchase treatment products just to be safe.

No snakes have been soaking in their water bowls, and of the three that I inspected yesterday (the other five just ate) I didn't find any mites on the animals themselves.

Anyways, I found this link for homemade mite remedy using Nix. I can't find Nix anywhere, only RID. Is RID an acceptable alternative? Or am I just going to have to order Nix online?

(FWIW, I also went to two pet stores and neither of them carried Mite Off, Natural Chemistry, or any other mite treatment, either.)

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
j33p3rz
My 3 baby corn snakes had mites I used nix.I sprayed, then again after 7 days.Now Im mite free.I found nix at our Local walgreens, Wal-Mart had it also.If you were close Id fill you up a bottle I have plenty ;-)

Old 06-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
j33p3rz
WOW just seen your from Indy wal greens here in Franklin has nix.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
maxfox426
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33p3rz View Post
My 3 baby corn snakes had mites I used nix.I sprayed, then again after 7 days.Now Im mite free.I found nix at our Local walgreens, Wal-Mart had it also.If you were close Id fill you up a bottle I have plenty ;-)
Thanks! I eventually did find the Nix at WalMart. Walgreens and CVS completely failed me this time!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
j33p3rz
Thats good.I know alot of people are against using NIX but I used it that I read to use it.Soaked down the snakes all the viv including everything.I kept the corns in shoe box tubs with paper towels down and it worked great.It didnt seem to effect the snakes at all.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
maxfox426
I personally would prefer not to use Nix, either, but mostly, I would have preferred not to be worried about mites in the first place!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google