CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Switching Adult corn from live to f/t or fk?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Pugsley
Question Switching Adult corn from live to f/t or fk?

I searched, but my searching skills are greatly lacking, so please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, I bought an adult corn that needed to get out of its situation, crazy me, that only eats live small rats. No mice, no fresh killed, no f/t. Just fresh rats, they told me he won't eat anything else.

Also, he is a bit of a shy eater, in that if you watch too closely or bug 'em while eating, he will just kill the prey and slither away. I don't know any of this from personal experience. I'm going to feed him tonight. Instead of a small rat, I'm getting him a live hopper rat for tonight, but I'd like to get him onto even fresh killed mice, if I can.

Ideas? Help?

As an aside, this snake is a 'B' snake in that there is a small kink at the end of its tail and a bump at the vent. And I think it is female. I'm have a lousy P&C camera, but I will try and take a few photos tonight before feeding.

Thanks in advance for advice and help. If there is/are threads dealing with this already, would you please post a link to them?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
bitsy
I'd leave him without food for a couple of weeks to make sure he's good and hungry, then leave a nice hot defrosted mouse in with him overnight. Pop it in the tank just before you go to bed and turn all the lights out. Absolute dark and quiet overnight might help.

They're odd creatures and just becuase it wouldn't take d/f in its last environment, doesn't mean it's won't for you. It's worth a try just playing it straight, before stressing about trying the tricks.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Nanci
I might go as far as letting her get hungry for three or four weeks. Then try a hopper or weanling mouse, HOT, and blow dried. I don't feel very strongly about leaving it in the viv overnight- I'd just go with in a small feeding bin, in the evening, covered, and don't check for several hours. THEN if she hasn't eaten, reheat and put it in the viv overnight.

And I definitely would NOT offer her any more rats if you want her to switch for you. New home, new rules.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Pugsley
Thanks everyone! I give him/her a month and try then.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google