CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Emergency Food Substitute

Old 07-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #11
fyrefairy
How far are you from Cincinatti or Jeffersonville? You can probably get pinkies from a regular pet store, but not PetSmart - they're funny about feeders. Of course, either of those cities should have exotics.

I'd go with an order of f/t if you're that far out. Most places ship them in quantities of 50-100. I buy from RodentPro, but you might want to go with someone who does smaller quantities and get some pinkies and some fuzzies. It's definitely more cost effective than live pinkies, even after shipping. (Local petstores want just as much for a pinky mouse as an adult mouse around here.) If you have a deep freeze, estimate out a year or so and buy ahead, if not, don't go for more than 6 mos worth. (Example, she's eating a pinkie every 5 days right now - at that rate 50 pinkies would last you 250 days - about 8 months...of course, she'll be onto two pinkies every 5 days well before that time is up, and then you'll want to graduate her to fuzzies.)

If you run out, don't sweat it too much. Like they said up there *points* she'll be fine if she goes a little extra between meals.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:31 AM   #12
MentallyTwisted
If your from Central Indiana have you heard of Friendship? I live about 5 miles from there. Cincinnati and Jeff are both about the same distance as Indy. We got live pinkies today for .50 each. That was a heck of a lot cheaper than what I payed for them the first time and yes, they charged the same amount for them as they did the adults. I only had to drive a few miles and I don't think there is going to be a shortage problem with these people. They have several sizes of white mice and quite a few exotic pets that seemed to be very healthy. Gus attacked the pinkie like he hadn't seen food for two weeks. Wednesday it would have been two weeks since he ate. Hes only 16 inches long and we have been feeding him once every four or five days. The pinkies were extremely small though, these are nice plump ones. Thanks for all of your help!

Old 07-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #13
peep_827
Wow, 50 cents a pinky is great!!! Locally I have to pay from $1.25 to $1.50 a pinky. CRAZY! So I order on-line. I'm glad to hear you got things worked out and Gus ate well.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #14
MentallyTwisted
Talking

Thanks peep! Thats why I was looking for something closer. I didn't want to pay two dollars a pinkie and have to drive 200 miles one way to buy them. These were fresh and still active when I bought them. I was afraid to feed him one while it was still alive. I know he might decide thats the only way he will eat. I would have to buy him a fresh one for every feeding. My son wants to raise them. I'm not ready for that yet! I want snakes and frogs, not mice! We live in the country and I am constantly trying to get rid of the mice not breed more.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #15
MegF.
I don't think you'll have to worry about switching from live to f/t. My amel made the switch effortlessly. Never acted like he knew the difference. I think most will make the switch easily especially if they're aggressive feeders.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #16
MentallyTwisted
Oh he is definitely an aggressive eater. We just fed him and Elijah, my 10 year old son had just put him in his feeding area, he snatched that pinkie up before he hit the floor. I tryed to get a picture but he was done in about 2 minutes. Sometimes it scares me that he is going to get one of them stuck sideways but I know he turns them around. All of my other snakes have been grown or almost grown when I bought them. This is the first time I have raised one from a baby.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google