CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

1 month old corn snake not eating

Old 05-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
twilight-1
Unhappy 1 month old corn snake not eating

my albino corn snake wont eat help please!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Camby
Try and help us out a little more, what is the snake housed in, how are you monitoring the temps, what are you offering it for food.....give us anything we can utilize to help.

dc

Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
twilight-1
she is in a ten gallon tank i watch the temp every day so its not to hot and i feed her baby pinkies(dead)

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
twilight-1
she is about 1 month old and i got her from petco my mother and i thought about taking her to the vet and see if they can help is it a good idea

Old 05-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
Camby
OK, still not alot of info, but my first guess is that the temps are too low. I know you are going to say they are not and that is exactly what I used to say until I bought a mximum/minimum thermometer.

At night the temps drop a good deal and you won't know it. At a minimum, the first thing is to get an under the tank thermometer and set it up, provide a good hide box (small mac and cheese boxes work great).

Beyond that, go to any major search engine and search proper husbandry for corn snakes. In the majority of cases though, temps are the catalyst to many feeding/non feeding issues.

dc

Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Buzzard
Double check your husbandry. If everything still checks out then try a live pinkie, I know a lot of people do not like this but, the movement of the live pinkie sometimes will stimulate it to eat. Has it eaten before? Is it about to shed(does it look duller than normal)? Some snakes will not eat right before a shed. There could be a lot of reasons. How long has it been since its last feeding or do you know?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
Cat_Eyed_Lady
Other than husbandery, make sure that the f/t pinkie is hot enough. Too cold may cause it to refuse also.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
Camby
I mis-spoke earlier. What I meant to say was get a max/min thermometer to monitor temps (get one from Lowes). Go ahead and buy an under the tank heater to help with heating. That should give it a warm spot.

Try placing a live small pinkie in a hide witht the snake overnight with all the lights off. If that doesn't work, place teh snake and pinkie (live) in a deli container inside the cage near (not on) the under tank heater for about an hour, then check it.

Next step would be to start trying anole scenting, but let's give all the other stuff a try first.

dc

Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
danielle
I think you guys are getting a little overexcited without knowing enough info first. How long have you had the snake, how are you thawing the pinks, how big are the pinks. and what are you feeding your snake in? What are your actual cage temps and how long do you leave the pink with the snake? Feeding live and scenting is a last resort most try to cut the pink in half first and get it really hot letting it soak in hot water for 15 minutes or so. Then place the snake in a separate container with the pinky in it and no substrate. Cover the container with a towel to keep it dark and leave it alone for at least an hour before peaking. When they are new a smaller meal and privacy is sometimes what they want

Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
Leonore
the other question I have is how often you are trying to feed it/how long since it's last meal?

Do you have Kathy Love's book? (Corn Snakes The Comprehensive Owner's Guide)
it has a chapter on feeding which includes sections on Feeding Strategies and Coaxing Stubborn Hatchings to Feed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google