CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

2nd Herp Trip of the season...

Old 03-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #11
SkyChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruddock
You stay careful to workin with those cottonmouths, those suckers are mean.
I hardly ever touch them. Only very occassionally would I have a reason. Funny thing is, most I've found weren't mean, but deceptively calm - almost like you could reach down and pick them up (with a few exceptions). That's what's disconcerting about them. I've even nearly stepped on them without knowing it - looked down and there they were. Once I hooked them, they all bit my hook. I'm sure they'd do that to my hand, too.

The few coppers I've found were all nasty, though. Attitude problems. That seems to go against most people's observations that they are pretty easy going. How did that one act? And how big was that copper? Photos are deceiving. Was it small?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
Pruddock
He was the calmest snake i've worked with to be quite honest lol. He (or she i just say he because its natural) was a subadult and about 17 inches long. Never bit at me even when I was hookin him. Honestly, if all venomous were as calm as this guy I would never have any problems handling them at all. Unfortunatly, thats not true but I try and take all the precautions necessary. Snakeproof 16in boots are a good start, and a 40in hook to handle with the snake at a distance. I also use either a 90, 135, or 210mm lens on my SLR to take pretty good pictures from a safe distance. I usually go out alone, so safety is my number one thing for sure. It'd actually be nice to find somebody in the area willing to go out with me so I could actually get a picture with the snake lol. You're from Virginia right SkyChimp?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #13
SkyChimp
I am in Virginia.

I have a pair of 16" snake boots from cabelas, but I hardly ever wear them. I usually just wear my hiking boots. And when I'm in venomous snake habitat, I wear a pair of snake-proof gaiters along with them. That way when I'm wearing shorts i don't hav to look silly with tall boots on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google