CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

A Big Cottonmouth

Old 03-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
wax32
A Big Cottonmouth

My friend Gwen spotted a Cottonmouth in Lafitte, LA and took some photos. She was scared and didn't want to get too close, but here is a decent shot...

Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Nanci
Pretty snake! I see those a lot. Usually they're coiled up and defensive.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
RobbiesCornField
Very cool! They're interesting snakes to see in the wild. Especially if you accidentally happen upon them.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
MinLynn
Ah the cottonmouth! How I fear thee! I have good reason though. When I was little (maybe 6?) and living in very very rural Arkansas(we're talking trailer in the middle of the woods with creeks all over the place)I disappeared for a whole night. We had a pack of hunting dogs that I adored and must of followed them into the woods one day. When my parents found me I was curled up with the dogs, trying to coax a cottonmouth into coming to me. One dog was snarling at the snake, the other was practically laying on top of me and I was yelling at the dogs because I wanted that "worm". My grandpa shot the snake, explained that I was never ever to go near any snakes ever and thus began my total fear of snakes up until about 4 months ago.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
MyLittleGuyCyrus
Your friend got a heck of a lot closer then I would have! LOL!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
HoosierHerper
That is amazing! They are fairly rare in my parts...except in the far south tip...

I was very lucky as a youngster (12 yo or so..) I was at a family get-together at a State Park in Southern Indiana...I'd have to check which one, but there was a creek running through it and as I was crossing the bridge, a cottonmouth was sitting by the creekside on a tangle of roots that grew into the water. No one was around it, but something had ticked it off, because it was showing that big pretty white mouth

I'm suprised that didn't get me "into snakes.." but I guess it wouldn't have mattered, I lived at home and my mom probably wouldn't have let me.
(She doesn't mind snakes, just hates watching them eat...live or frozen doesn't matter)

Anyways, great pic! Thanks for sharing

-Josh

Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
KJUN
The first time I ever got a boot tagged by one (thank the gods for LaCrosse greens!) was when I was about 5 or 6. I turned off a trail and peed in a bush without looking good. As I did, I must have startled one (just a typical adult like that one - I'm sure it wasn't the 40lb monster that it looked like to me) hiding in the tall grass right the because it spastically struck out and bumped my right foot.

Needless to say, I learned fast how to jump backwards, run, and fling urine over EVERYTHING INSIGHT all at the same time.
KJ

Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
HoosierHerper
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
Needless to say, I learned fast how to jump backwards, run, and fling urine over EVERYTHING INSIGHT all at the same time.
KJ
Priceless ^

Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierHerper View Post
Priceless ^
.....maybe to you! 25+ years later, and I still can't pee on a bush without looking under it for 5 minutes first!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
onelifetolive45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
.....maybe to you! 25+ years later, and I still can't pee on a bush without looking under it for 5 minutes first!
Oh man I'm in the library and I just got some of the worst looks for busting out laughing. Sorry I am amused at your expense KJUN

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google