CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Deb's Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Deb's Den Welcome! Here you will find photos of my snakes, breeding plans, snakes for sale, etc. Plus, some general conversation, sharing, &/or discussion.

Dilute Info, Photos, & Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
Pasodama
Dilute Info, Photos, & Discussion

This thread has been created in an effort to give people more understanding/knowledge, of the Dilute gene/morphs, and, hopefully, so we can, all, learn more.
Updates will be added if/when needed.

I do invite others to discuss the Dilute gene/morphs and to share any first hand observations, facts, and photos.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Dilute was first discovered/noticed in Anery Motleys, which exhibited a "blueish" black/grey color (rather than the "warmer" tones of browns, etc.), typically had a reduction of melanin, and an enhancement of any pinks, etc.
They were coined as "Blue Motleys".
Due to, also, having a "softened" look (for lack of a better description at this time), some would say that the "Blue Motley" almost had the appearance of a snake in shed (a description that I do not particularly care for since Dilutes don't, actually, look like a snake that is in blue). Others said/say that it is as if the pigment does not quite reach the skin's surface layer (this seems to be a more appropriate description than is the other).

For a long time, people believed that Dilute only existed (or could exist) in Anery based morphs ... some folks still do believe this. However, it is not so.
Dilute can be carried by, and can be combined with, other morphs as well.
Aside from Anery based morphs, and since the time of first recognition (of Dilute),... Dilute Classic, Dilute Caramel, Dilute Charcoal, & Dilute Hypo (just to mention some off the top of my head) have also been produced.
I have no doubt that other morphs (than these listed) can carry/exhibit Dilute as well.
With time, we are very likely to see more Dilute morphs produced.

With Dilute, there are affects, that are "hypo like", but ... there may be more going on than its being a Hypo gene.
More is being learned every day.

However, here are some facts about Dilute:
- Dilute acts as a simple recessive.
- Dilutes shed skins that are pigment free (akin to the shed skins of Amels).
- When in blue, Dilutes have a somewhat milky opacity to their bodies (such as as you see with Amels).
- Dilute hatchlings are a paler/lighter color, or more hypo-like, than are equivalent morph, but non-Dilute, hatchlings.

It, also, seems/appears that Dilute:
- Causes a reduction of melanin (to varying degrees).
- Causes an enhancement to such light colors as pink (perhaps due to reduction of melanin?).
- Can affect the expression of pigment ... a suppression (to varying degrees - mild to heavily, or partial to complete), of some color, from reaching parts of the skin's surface (giving a unique look).