• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Capturing Colors

It drives me UP THE WALL when people take a picture of a pale snake on a pale background. it is very unflattering to the snakes colors.

when photographing a light snake (snow, blizzard, peppermint) place the snake on a dark background ( i use a dark sand stone rock or a black pillow case) it contrasts with the color of the snake and is much more flattering.

dark snakes, photograph fantastically on a light or white surface, but also photograph well on neutral colors, i use either a white pillow case or a simple grey rock.

i get so tired of seeing red snakes photographed on a red back ground or with some funky yellow lighting. blehk
-studying to be a photographer. i use a nikon d3000 in manual focus macro mode.
(out of order) V
amel on a red background.... taken with a phone.
black striped king on a sheet of paper
white snake on a sheet of paper
black striped king on neutral background

Attachments

• snakes 008.JPG
    snakes 008.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 305
  • snakes 015.JPG
    snakes 015.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 120929_0001.jpg
    120929_0001.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 306
  • kings and milks 009.JPG
    kings and milks 009.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 308
this was very helpful! I have the hardest time with my Hypo lavender and Coral Snows. But when I put them on a dark background, the flash bleaches them out? I don't have access to a good camera right now, just a point-and-shoot kodak easyshare.

the only time I get good pics of them is when I borrow my boyfriend's Canon Rebel

try something kind of pastel colored, like a light pink pillow case. sometimes when colors are hard to catch on camera, putting them against a similar color brightens it. i have an awful time catching the yellows on my coral snows.

i forgot to add a picture of a light snake on a dark background! OOPS
this is my blizzard, he has a faint pattern that is difficult to capture.
with coral snows, i have had the most luck with no flash in natural light catching their colors, the second pic is my "coral" snow (not proven) Blossum

Attachments

• corns 016.JPG
    corns 016.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 300
  • corals 012.JPG
    corals 012.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 301
Thanks for the info! I have to admit I just highly prefer sun lit photo's over photo's taken in the shadows or when clouded. For me the problem with a light snake on a dark background in the sun is, that the camera either sets exposure time for dark or light colors, which usually leads to over exposed snakes with litte color. That is why I manually decrease exposure time with one or two steps. This way I finally captured the true colors of my opal:

olav_20120528.jpg

And my coral snow:

joxer_20120528.jpg

It's a pity these photo's loose sharpness though with every step decreasing exposure time...

Further sometimes finding similar colors for the background brings out the difficult to capture hues, like the steel, almost blueish grey of this corn:

mjolnir_20120528.jpg

Hee leuk, jij ook hier Karlijn?

Motley is met een t :)

LOL sorry for the Dutch, I just welcomed someone whom bought a snakelet from me :)

Last edited:
Great thread, I know I had trouble at first with my photos looking washed out but then I did the same and started looking at darker backgrounds and they made Rapunzel's colors show a lot better and truer to her natural shades.

18 percent neutral gray background is your friend.

You can also use colored backgrounds that resolve to 18 percent gray when converted to grayscale. But know how the color of the background will affect the rendition of the coloring of your subject.

These 2 taken some with flash some without, and saved at original unaltered size. None of these pictures have been edited. Though a lot were deleted.
Salmon Snow male 1

Salmon Snow male 2

I'm not very camera savvy--but what about photographing snakes against colors that are complimentary to their scales (ie putting a red snake on a green background, an orange snake on a blue background)? Would that make their colors look more vibrant, or would it dull them down? If you guys think it would help make colors stand out, then I'm snapping some pictures of my little butter motley against a purple backdrop whenever I can.

After reading your post i went and took pics of my snakes. I have to say the difference is amazing. Thank you!

I'm not very camera savvy--but what about photographing snakes against colors that are complimentary to their scales (ie putting a red snake on a green background, an orange snake on a blue background)? Would that make their colors look more vibrant, or would it dull them down? If you guys think it would help make colors stand out, then I'm snapping some pictures of my little butter motley against a purple backdrop whenever I can.
Ah, the infamous 'blue bowl' effect! Put a red or orange snake on a blue background or in a blue bowl and you'll love the contrast! I seem to have preferred using green to showcase my Love okeetee's colours

Attachments

• 62a.JPG
    62a.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 107a.JPG
    107a.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 12a.JPG
    12a.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 51a.JPG
    51a.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 68
Ah, the infamous 'blue bowl' effect! Put a red or orange snake on a blue background or in a blue bowl and you'll love the contrast! I seem to have preferred using green to showcase my Love okeetee's colours

I have never heard of this. I'm going to have to try it with my Amel!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I guess it depends what lighting you have, if you have a studio set up with studio lighting a light snake on (pure) white can look great too, if you just know how to put your lights :) Sadly I don't have any light snakes myself lol.

These might be a good examples though:
752513863_Mmmmf-L.jpg

11568378-opale-corn-snake-or-red-rat-snake-pantherophis-guttatus-in-front-of-white-background.jpg

depositphotos_10905969-Candy-cane-Corn-Snake-or-Red-Rat-Snake-Pantherophis-guttatus-in-front-of-white-background.jpg

Back