CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Day/Night Cycle and to scared to thermoregulate?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #1
Nanyia
Day/Night Cycle and to scared to thermoregulate?

So i have 2 questions.
1. I live in a 1 room studio with my 1year old corn (i have him for about 2 weeks) so its hard to have a strict day/night cycle for him, i dont even have a constant sleeping schedule for myself so its not like he can follow mine and i cant live without lights in the house in the night for obvious reasons haha. So any advice on that? would having lights on the terrarium on a timer help? So its brighter in specific times?

2. Whenever i pick him up and put him back into the terrarium he goes to the nearest hide from where i leave him and stays there until i take him back out the next day, i havent even seen him drink water or move out of his hide since he went visibly in shed, as i said he is in shed currently but he did it even before that to an extent (he might started going into shed when i got him though, as i said its been 2 weeks and he just got out of blue today) so is it possible that if i leave him near the cold spot and he feels cold that he is to afraid to go to the warm spot?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
Patmart
Hi I’ve got 2 corns both a year old
Have you got a heat lamp?
What I do is in the morning about 7:00
I turn his lamp up to 33c and about 19:00
Turn it down to 23c
I’ve also got a heat mat I leave on 25c
They both are thermostat controlled
And as for hiding probably still getting to know his surroundings
Hope that helps you
You will probably get a lot more advice on this site it’s really good
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-24-2017, 06:21 AM   #3
Nanyia
Im using a heat mat which is thermostat controlled at 30c constantly from what i read corn snakes need belly heat so i went with that. but i have lights for viewing. which i turn on when i wake up and turn of at around 10pm

Old 10-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Patmart
I would turn it off after 12 hours get a timer maybe
That way he thinks it night and he can come out to hunt for food
Pat

Old 10-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Patmart
Have you thought about getting a heat lamp?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
Patmart
Are you in the uk I’m only asking because of time difference

Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #7
Nanyia
im from Greece UTC+2,
I dont realy want a heat lamp, the terrarium i have has a glass top with a hole in the middle, i cant even imagine whats the point of that hole, but it would have to be in the middle of the terrarium

Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Patmart
Sorry I can’t help on that I’ve got a viv I did look at the terrarium but didn’t like the look of them
What do you think about turning the light out ??

Old 10-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #9
Nanyia
i mean there will still be lights in the house even if i turn his out thats my question, not how long its supposed to be on

Old 10-24-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
Patmart
I’ve got my viv in the lounge
The light I the viv I work on 12 hours in the day
I get up about 7:00 turn on and then about 7:00 in the evening I turn it off still got the light on in the lounge
I would turn your heat mat down to 25c at night because in wild it goes colder at night
Hope that helps you
Pat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google