CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Big viv for small snake?

Old 11-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #1
alinech20
Big viv for small snake?

Hello there,

I've read that it is not ok to house a small corn in a big viv because the snake might feel insecure, but I saw that some people do that anyway. I have a 4 months old corn that is about 35-40 cm (13.5 to 15.5 in) long and a viv that is 85x35x40 cm (33.5x13.5x15.5 in) that makes about a 30 gallon viv. I currently keep her in a plastic container with a length of about 70% of her length.

So I have two questions:
1. Is it the viv big enough to keep her there as an adult? (from what I've read I'd think yes)
2. Could I move her in the viv sooner, even if she's so small? Of course, I'd provide her with at least 2-3 hides, other decorations such as logs and plants and so on, so that she'll have plenty of places to hide. Or should I consider using something to restrict her roaming area in the viv and gradually increase it as she grows? I'd love to have her in the viv with decorations and stuff instead of keeping her in a plastic container with paper towels as substrate.

Thank you!

Old 11-09-2017, 05:17 AM   #2
Patmart
Hi I know how you feel when I had my George he was 9 weeks I kept him his box inside his viv till he was about 5 months old
My viv is 3 foot long sorry I’m still in the feet and inches
The viv sounds just right
Good luck with your new little mate
Pat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-09-2017, 05:21 AM   #3
alinech20
Thanks for the reply! So you moved him in the viv when he was 5 months old? Did he seem scared or insecure because of the large viv?

Old 11-09-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Patmart
No he was fine he did hide for a few days
It was me I did worry about him he was fine
He is now 13 months old and doing really well
This site is brilliant any thing you want to ask someone will help you
Pat

Old 11-09-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
Gryffyd
I have a corn snake about the same age/size as yours and have kept her in a Viv the same size as the one you have mentioned since I got her. I have plenty of hides and plants as well and she's never shown any problems. During the day she spends most time in one of her hides but at night she roams all over climbing and smelling everything. She's never missed a feeding and seems pretty chill so I doubt the space has any negative effect on her, definitely not stressed.
The 'big, bad world' isn't 3' X 2', so as long as there's places to hide I see no reason why your corn wouldn't be fine.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
alinech20
Thanks for replying! I'm gonna set up the viv as soon as possible and I'll post some pics afterwards. I hope I'll move Nyx into the viv by the end of the month.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Patmart
Good luck I’m sure it will go well
Pat

Old 11-16-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
Forcedexile
I got my cornsnake when he was about 3 months old I think? Not sure, he was a Petco snake so not much history on him. I've kept him in a 40g his entire life. He's a little over 6 years old now and no problems. After he started getting to adult size I increased the size of his water bowl and hide, removed some of the furniture and he seems quite happy.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
Nanyia
I have a mine in a 100x30x45cm glass terrarium, i don't have exact age information but he weights 55gr and is around 60cm long. Its been 2 months since i got him and hes doing fine in there. I have a lot of hides and places for him to climb on and foliage to sneak under. When i say a lot i mean A LOT, like 6 hides.
heres a pic of the terrarium bellow,

since taking this pic i removed some of the random cork bark on the ground cause i had a hard time finding his poo but he didnt seem to care still comes outside every night and roams around

Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #10
Nanyia
so the pic didnt get posted so heres a link to it
https://imgur.com/2AHtPtt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google