• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Swollen neck, pink belly?

Maevenish

Ok, So my corn is a 5 year old female. I took her to the vet the last time this happened and it's starting again. I like my vet and he's really nice. I just want to hear what you all think too. Peach has never laid eggs either. Don't know if that matters. Her morph is something like Ghost Blood red anery? I think. Her belly is white normally. She's just eaten two adult mice pretty readily (every two weeks) and she's looking for another one. I have pictures from when her throat was more swollen that I will attach to this post. She seems normal to me behaviour wise. I try to clean her poop out of her tank after she goes, but I can't find the last one. So what is wrong with her? I don't remember what it was before, I'll call the vet tomorrow. But what am I doing wrong? She's such a good girl. I just want what's best for her. I just took more pics to add and now I'm questioning if she does have the poofy chin and pink belly at all. The swelling in the pic from today is very slight. I'm just a worried mama. Not a crazy person, really. The pics with me in the blue shirt is from February 2023. The other two are tonight.

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpeg
    IMG_3799.jpeg
    339.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3800.jpeg
    IMG_3800.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4450.jpeg
    IMG_4450.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4451.jpeg
    IMG_4451.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 27
It's been like a month or so. Maybe two? I don't track them. Should I? I'm guessing yes since you asked. I would guess she should be due soon, maybe a couple weeks or so? I'm guessing here. She isn't in blue.

I'm starting to feel like a moron. I will say that every time either my vet or someone who knows snakes sees her, they are very complimentary on her health...:face_palm_02:

Don't feel like a moron! Tracking sheds can be helpful for things like this (and a few other things). Sometimes corns can get weird puffiness right before or during blue, so knowing if she's due might give you a clue. The pink belly isn't something I've seen, although it doesn't look bad to me.

Given that the swelling and redness have happened simultaneously twice now, it seems they are certainly related and of course swelling and redness are generally signs of inflammation of some type. Have you perhaps looked in her mouth to see if there is anything (?bedding) stuck in there, and has she had any discharge from her mouth, ...or have you noticed her gaping/yawning a lot? Also, what type of bedding is she being kept on, and have you changed the type of bedding recently? Knowing these facts might help us, help you, help her :)

Ok, So I looked in her mouth and it's a very light pink. No redness or swelling inside. Nothing there either. Her belly is slightly pink but I just fed her the other day and don't know if their bellies turn red from increased blood flow to digest?Her neck looks normal. No swelling on the outside. I'm beginning to think I'm just overly nervous? She's on pine shavings and has been since I brought her home at 10 months old, so over 4 years on it. I have sphagnum moss in her warm hide. I will probably do a complete clean on her tank. It's a Zen Habitats 4x2x2. Her eyes are clear and not blue. She's honestly acting normal. She's around my neck right now and looking around and blepping. No open mouth or gaping. I take her out of her tank a few times a week and we do stuff together around the house. she likes hanging on my neck. I sometimes take her out in my car to do an errand. Yeah, I love her. We are partners. She will put her head in my hand for head pets. Any recommendations are welcome. Thank you all.

No, the bellies shouldn't turn pink while digesting. I am wondering if the pine is the issue. Some people use it just fine (kiln dried), but there are also claims that pine and cedar are bad for corns. Maybe try switching to aspen and see how she's doing in a few months.

I agree 100% with hypnoctopus. I bet the pine is causing the irritation. Switch her to aspen and see what happens. Best of luck!

I have thought about this one for a while and I been a little reluctant to comment. I have been off the forums for so long. That swollen neck can be indicative of a shed. Snakes go through a few changes when this is about to happen. Their eyes turn blue, their color fades and they may swell in their neck or around their cloaca. They can also get a little moody.

What concerns me is I have never seen one with that much swelling. I would listen to see if your snake makes any sounds while she is breathing. It could be clicking or even wheezing. I'm not trying to scare you here. Corns, when they develop a respiratory infection, will swell around their neck and you will hear clicking and popping while they breathe.

Now, if this is present, it doesn't mean an emergency trip to the vet. This can be treated at home. If any of the symptoms I described are present, then you just need to increase the temp of the tank a little. Probably just about five degrees and add humidity by spraying a bit of water in the vivarium with a clean or new spray bottle. If I am wrong, this will help your little one shed cleaner and no harm, but if I am right, then you will have to do this for a bit until the symptoms pass. It can take weeks to months.

Back