CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Big green frog, painted turtle, and little green frog!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
spyderk
Big green frog, painted turtle, and little green frog!

I gotta say, I love my kids. They get so excited about finding turtles, frogs, butterflies, moths, anything! I have always encouraged them to look for things like this from the time they were small, and all of a sudden last year it just took off for them, and now they are looking for things wherever they go.

We have a small lake about a block from our house that has plenty of frogs and other things. Here are a few pictures of their finds today. The bigger green frog was initially thought to be a bullfrog until we looked it up in our WI amphibian book. Now I think we know the difference.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
That turtle does NOT look happy!

It's great that your kids are interested in critters. I was like that as a kid (and I still am - I always watch the ground when I go outside).

Old 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Christen
I love the froggy pictures. So cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post

It's great that your kids are interested in critters. I was like that as a kid (and I still am - I always watch the ground when I go outside).
LOL No he is not. It so looks like he is saying unhand me you beast.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Buzzard
Nice pictures thanks for sharing. The key feature on the true frog species is to look at the dorsolateral folds and size and location of the tympanum. They can be hard sometimes to key out.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
HeavenHell
Nice finds. I like the last froggy photo the best.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
spyderk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post

I was like that as a kid, too. I stopped at some point, and then once I had the kids, it was like childhood all over for ME again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Nice pictures thanks for sharing. The key feature on the true frog species is to look at the dorsolateral folds and size and location of the tympanum. They can be hard sometimes to key out.
It was the folds that made me realize this wasn't a bullfrog. Do you think my assessment is correct?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google