CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Elemental Exotic's possible 2015 corn pairings.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #91
steve roylance
Congrats on a great season!!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #92
Tavia
Thanks!

It's definitely been a mixed bag! Super excited that Max proved his Caramel het and is almost certainly a Super Tess! Definitely the highlight of the year so far.

Unfortunately Murphy wasn't all kind. Was majorly bummed about it, didn't say earlier. The big middle clump of eggs in Tavia's clutch were also all DIEs, two even pipped and then died for some reason, they were near term and not malformed that I could see. Also not having good luck with my African House snake eggs/hatchlings. Thinking about not breeding them again ...

At least we are 22 out of 23 corns eating, only got one stubborn non eater. Though Tavia's babies aren't as good of eaters so far as the Tessera clutch, some aren't eating consistently but at least most are eating some of the time. And all of the coxi have eaten too. Nearly all of them are getting offered food today, so fingers crossed!

Old 08-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #93
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Thank you!

Said elsewhere, but don't remember if I said here. Final tally was 6 Classic Tessera and 6 Caramel Tessera. So nearly sure that Max is in fact a homo Tessera and he proved his 66% het Caramel. And I was misremembering on his het Motley, I'd been thinking it was 100% for some reason but it's 66% and based on this clutch, probably not there. So all in all, I'm super jazzed by this clutch!
Unfortunately the last 2 eggs kind of dimmed that a bit, one was a pretty near full term Classic Tessera DIE with nothing I could see wrong with it and the other one, a Caramel Tessera, failed to absorb it's yolk. It seems to be doing well so far though, although quite small. So fingers crossed it keeps going strong!
I cannot believe I missed this!! I remember seeing the initial babies, but somehow didn't follow upon it!

This helps prove my point that there are more out there!!

I am so happy for you!!!

So how many eggs total in Max's clutch, and how many went full term?

Old 08-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #94
Tavia
There were 14 total in his clutch with Rhiannon, 2 duds, 12 eggs that went nearly full term. One was DIE but fully formed and a Classic Tessera. One baby, Pipsqueak, failed to absorb it's yolk, ate great 6 or 7 times, refused once, ate next time, regurged a day later and died the day after, which really sucked. I'd been braced for him not to make it for awhile after he'd hatched and was just starting to think he was pretty much out of the woods. Ended up with 2 males and 9 females from this clutch. Currently there are only 10 living babies but they are all very healthy, so happy about that!

The pairing with Fiona didn't produce anything, though he tried pretty hard with her.

After this clutch hatched and there was a good possibility that he was a Super, I tried pairing him with Stormy, who I wasn't originally going to breed this year. But they had no interest in each other. I then paired Stormy with Vash, who she successfully mated with last year and there was no interest there either, so think we just missed the timing for her.

Max really got around this year, poor tapped out boy! I then loaned him out to a breeder friend we'd done a loan with before and he paired him with two of his females, for their second clutches of the year, I guess these girls are pretty good double clutchers. However, he was apparently a very lazy bum that was only interested in eating while there. They both laid clutches but they were mostly duds with only a few good ones between them. So guess we shall have to see what hatches out of them. I'd have been happier if it had been those two girl's first clutch of the season, since the second clutches might be retained sperm and that will contaminate our results a bit unless every one of the few good eggs hatches Tessera, unfortunately it won't be obvious which is the sire if they are not Tessera.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #95
MysticExotics
Quote:
There were 14 total in his clutch with Rhiannon, 2 duds, 12 eggs that went nearly full term. One was DIE but fully formed and a Classic Tessera. One baby, Pipsqueak, failed to absorb it's yolk, ate great 6 or 7 times, refused once, ate next time, regurged a day later and died the day after, which really sucked. I'd been braced for him not to make it for awhile after he'd hatched and was just starting to think he was pretty much out of the woods. Ended up with 2 males and 9 females from this clutch. Currently there are only 10 living babies but they are all very healthy, so happy about that!

The pairing with Fiona didn't produce anything, though he tried pretty hard with her.

After this clutch hatched and there was a good possibility that he was a Super, I tried pairing him with Stormy, who I wasn't originally going to breed this year. But they had no interest in each other. I then paired Stormy with Vash, who she successfully mated with last year and there was no interest there either, so think we just missed the timing for her.

Max really got around this year, poor tapped out boy! I then loaned him out to a breeder friend we'd done a loan with before and he paired him with two of his females, for their second clutches of the year, I guess these girls are pretty good double clutchers. However, he was apparently a very lazy bum that was only interested in eating while there. They both laid clutches but they were mostly duds with only a few good ones between them. So guess we shall have to see what hatches out of them. I'd have been happier if it had been those two girl's first clutch of the season, since the second clutches might be retained sperm and that will contaminate our results a bit unless every one of the few good eggs hatches Tessera, unfortunately it won't be obvious which is the sire if they are not Tessera.
So out of 14, essentially, 10 made it, including the one DIE and the one hat ended up dying, correct?

I'm trying to rule out if the Super form in itself creates genetic problems that would cause DIE babies.

My clutch this year is my first Tessera X Tessera, but it won;t be my last. I ended up with 19/19 good eggs. I will be keeping an eye on one of the babies, Flint, especially after what you posted about Pipsqueak. Flint had the small belly opening, and it took a couple days to close up, but it did, and he has eaten 3 meals consecutively. I am feeding babies again tonight.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #96
Tavia
Right. I'm inclined to think that the DIE was either some kind of incubation malfunction or maybe the egg shells were too hard?? Not really sure but the other corn clutch I had incubating at the same time, that was completely unrelated, also ended up with 5 very late term DIEs, a number of which even pipped but never emerged. When I cut them open, I saw nothing obviously wrong with them, so quite puzzled by that! That unrelated clutch hatched about 2 weeks after the Tesseras.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #97
MysticExotics
Thanks for the info! I'm assuming you will be doing more pairings with Max.
Would you mind posting any results in THIS thread?

There is still much to learn, and I am hoping that a number of us can help provide more information on the Tessera gene.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #98
Tavia
Oh, yeah! Will definitely be pairing Max up again next year, not totally sure with who all but at least 1 to 4 pairings. I'll be sure to update this post with what we get.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #99
MysticExotics
Quote:
Oh, yeah! Will definitely be pairing Max up again next year, not totally sure with who all but at least 1 to 4 pairings. I'll be sure to update this post with what we get.
Awesome, thank you!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #100
DuxorW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
So out of 14, essentially, 10 made it, including the one DIE and the one hat ended up dying, correct?

I'm trying to rule out if the Super form in itself creates genetic problems that would cause DIE babies.
I could see how being homozygous tessera might somehow increase the odds of DIE if the baby is homozygous, but I can't think of any way that having a super tessera parent would make an embryo more likely to die, if the embryo is only carrying one copy of the tessera allele, as was the case here. The only difference between the gametes of a tessera and super tessera is that all the super tessera gametes contain a tessera allele, instead of just half of them, so there shouldn't be any way that being homozygous tessera could effect the mortality of offspring, unless those offspring are super tessera and somehow two copies of tessera sometimes has some sort of deleterious effect.

But if you meant you were trying to see if homozygous tessera babies are more likely to die in the egg, then ignore what I just said

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google