• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Got quite a surprise this week!

fsqwert

I have made some previous posts regarding my Okeetee corn snake. He is 8 months old as of Feb. 10 and in the neighborhood of around 22-24 inches. I got quite a surprise this past week. I had him on a feeding regimen of 2 peach fuzzies once per week. I recently ran out of peach fuzzies, so I started him on the bag of fuzzies this past Saturday 02-07-04. I initially fed him one on Saturday night at around 8 pm. I then got to thinking...my snake doesn't seem like he is anything close to the ones I have seen in books with regard to his size and especially his BULK. He seems very long and slender. So, JUST FOR THE HECK OF IT, I waited till Sunday morning, and when I woke up on Sunday morning, I fed him ONE MORE fuzzy. He ate it readily, and as of today, Monday Feb. 9, he has not regurgitated his meal. I'm shocked...I thought that the 2 peach fuzzies were plenty, but apparently I was wrong. Do you guys think that this was just a "fluke" that he ate the 2 fuzzies without regurging...or do you think that I should start feeding him 2 fuzzies from now on??? I had originally thought that one would be enough :confused:

Thanks for any advice

Jeff

My snake is around 21 inches, and she is eating small frozen mice. I was feeding her two large fuzzies before that, and I kind of judged it by how easily she took them. I also noticed that she was out searching for food within a few days. You might try feeding him two next time and see if he takes them both. I would feed mine one, and then when she'd fully swallowed it, put the second one in.

I think it's difficult to say without seeing the snake sized up to the fuzzy. The reason is that the size of fuzzies seems to vary a lot- at least where I live.

The important thing to remember is that if you do start to exceed the comfortable limits of what your snake can handle by power feeding it, then you will have to have accurate temps to prevent a regurge or a poo with a partially digested fuzzy in it.

I think most Corn phases are known for being little piggies. In the wild they may get lucky and come upon a nest with baby birds and not pass up the opportunity to gobble up every last one.

I have an Okeetee, who like yours, will stuff herself full of fuzzy if you give her a chance. I try to feed her a comfortable amount that keeps a steady growth rate but is not too stressful on her digestion. I follow the standard feeding procedure of one (or two smaller) food items which are 1-1.5 times the diameter of the snakes widest point, every 5 to seven days.

Cheers,
Jason

Last edited:
No fluke there, a snake thats eating good will definately tackle larger/ multiple prey items...an 8 month corn eating 2 peach fuzzies is doing just fine :*)....Without seeing pics of your snake in comparison to the fuzzies you fed him it's really hard to say...JMHO I tend to lean towards keeping my snakes on smaller prey longer, but it's really a matter of opinion...this female eats 2 fuzzies...and she's @ 17 month's :cool:

Attachments

• normal5.jpg
    normal5.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 147
Ok, thanks a lot cka and others...I am probably gonna go back to feeding only 1 FUZZY per week. My snake pooped a couple days after I fed him the 2 fuzzies, and it was kind of...smelly and kind of mushy. So, Im thinking that I should go back to 1 fuzzy just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for your advice, people.

P.S. Cka....seeing the pic of your snake reminds me an awful lot of mine...mine isnt quite that thick though and probably not as big, but he still looks very similar. He even has the same red blotch on his back which is broken up by orange.

@ cka

hi what type of corn snake is that? reason i am asking i have one exactly the same markings and all i know is its a cornsnake but i see there are many types of them?

please could you let me know cheers :)

gaz

The snake that you are referring to appears to be just a normal colored corn. (This is what they actually looked like before man got involved :D )

Thanks for the compliment, Skye, she's just a nice little normal I hope is carrying some Zig Zag in her.

Back