• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Newbie snake owner and new forum member! :-)

Your snake and mine look like twins! :)

Good luck with everything, Im in the same exciting boat!

WOW, they really do!! They look like they could be clutch-mates!
Did you get yours from BHB too? ;) Great pictures of your little guy, by the way. Wishing you much luck and fun :wavey:

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I don't want to over feed either. My 2 15 gms might be able to have a fuzzy soon. I love my snakes so much.

as a young hatchling every 5 days is fine according to the munson plan. then as prey size increases, the time between feedings can increase. heres the munson plan for you guys, its really helpful!:

-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

Thanks! I got mine at PetCo, complete with Snake Mites and all!! -SMH. I had to do some quick learning on how to quarantine Raj and get all his things treated and clear of mites. It took (as recommened) four complete cleanings (snake, hides, waterbowl, logs, lamps, thermometer and enclosure) every 3-4 days....and they still came back twice.

Those were the first 3 weeks of snake parenthood, but no sign of mites in over a month - besides, it was never an "infestation", I took care of it right away every time and if it happens again I consider myself a pro by now, lol.

I would not recommend PetCo as a good source for healthy snakes. I dont even think they ever fed mine, when I got him he was very little and thin. Cute as hell though, and he was a total impulse buy! I never planned to walk out with a full snake kit and pet Snake. I also never expected to be so crazy about a pet snake, but I am SUPER focused on him and cant wait to get home from work everyday to check on and handle him. lovin it...

I would not recommend PetCo as a good source for healthy snakes. I dont even think they ever fed mine, when I got him he was very little and thin. Cute as hell though, and he was a total impulse buy! I never planned to walk out with a full snake kit and pet Snake. I also never expected to be so crazy about a pet snake, but I am SUPER focused on him and cant wait to get home from work everyday to check on and handle him. lovin it...

i see buying snakes from petco or likewise petstores as doing a good deed by rescuing them from such poor living conditions. when i got my yearling as a tiny hatchling from petco she was no bigger than your average sized drinking straw in girth. so i upped her to 2 pinks every 6 days and she has flourished nicely since. now shes a very healthy and well tempered snake. and i feel good about myself that i was able to take her out of a neglectful situation and save her and give her a happy, loving, and healthy home. pet store snakes need love too! i just wouldnt recommend them for very young first time snake owners because they may not have the time, knowledge or money to help a snake that may be sick. the moral is though, dont walk away from petstore snakes, they need your help just like an animal in a shelter does, and most all of them can be brought back to a healthy circumstance with the proper care and a loving home, so feel good for doing a good deed by rescuing a snake from poor conditions, no matter what the circumstances or where its being rescued from. =]

and as far as not knowing you could beome so attached to a snake, i totally understand! my snakes are like my babies now, and i never thought i could love something like a snake as much as i do. theyve become a major part of my world, theyre my pets, my hobby, etc. and i love them dearly. and no one except other snake owners can understand =p

Hmm, I like your comment and that point of view. Hadn't thought about it that way, and I totally agree. I retract my statement, thanks. :)

i have had angel for about 5 weeks now and weighed her for the first time last night she is 10g now she is 10 weeks old and eating 1 pinky every 5-6 days she prefers to eat in the dark around 11.30 uk time and is still very flighty when i take her out but i love her to bits as do the rest of my family with the exception of my mother that is lol x

i see buying snakes from petco or likewise petstores as doing a good deed by rescuing them from such poor living conditions....the moral is though, dont walk away from petstore snakes, they need your help just like an animal in a shelter does, and most all of them can be brought back to a healthy circumstance with the proper care and a loving home...

This is a toughie, because by buying the snake you're increasing demand. After someone buys one of those poor unfortunate animals, the big box pet store acquires more snakes only to have them be neglected as well. But at the same time, you really can save them from what will probably be an unhappy, unhealthy life if you have the knowledge and are willing to put in the effort... and that's not something to ignore, either. I'm torn :(

Don't get me wrong, I do admire and appreciate what you've done in saving those little guys.

So my snake is in shed and he has been in his warm hide for days, definitely not as active as he usually is. I should just fight the urge to take him out and handle him, and just let him be until he sheds right?? or is it ok to take him out? ...not liking this anti-social side of him... ;)

Leaving him in peace is best. At the moment, he can't see properly because he'll shed the scales over his eyes as well. They're extra-nervous at this time as they'd be vulnerable to predators in the wild.

He's not being anti-social, he's just trying to survive - don't take it personally!

Im just playin, but I will leave him alone and let him take a shed in peace :) how long from first cloudy eye day until he should do it, normally? thnx

While we're on the topic of shedding.... does anyone have a good day-by-day timeline of the events/stages of shedding? All the one's I've searched endlessly for have been kind of wishy-washy. Or, is it the case that every snake is different and they all shed a little differently? For example: how many days they are sluggish at the beginning, how long the "blue" phase lasts, how long the subsequent clear phase is before the actual shedding, etc.

I'm guessing it must be a very individual thing?

Yes, it's very individual. I have a hard time telling when my corns and Rosys really "start" to shed. The corns go sluggish for two or three days usually, then their eyes cloud up for between two to five days, clear up and get active for two or three days and then actually shed. But it varies a little bit by individual and often by different sheds of the same snake. The garter snakes I had were very easy to tell when they were going to shed. Their whole body would get progressively duller for a week or two before they entered the sluggish state. They gave a lot more of a visual warning.

so my snake finally began to shed today, but Im a bit concerned...I just got home and he has only shed half of his body (from head to mid body) and he doesnt really look like he's still "trying" to shed (rubbing against things, etc).

I read that sometimes it is necessary to get a few pieces off here and there if it is not a complete shed, but half his body seems like too much to try and take off myself. Anyone experinece this before?? what should I do? thanks!!

If it helps anyone, here's what I did to help the snake shed the rest of the skin:

I took a large towel and soaked it in warm water and then wrung it out well. I placed the warm & damp towel on the floor folded in half. I got the snake and placed it in the middle of the towel and folded it over the snake, covering most of its body, but not his head. Then, as he slowly began to move forward, I applied very light but firm pressure on the towel over him - making him have to work his body out of the towel.

I immediately saw that the skin had moved down evenly about an inch. I repeated the process about three times and then I gently picked up the snake and with my thumb and index finger put pressure on his body (like you would to keep him from moving too fast in your hands), but on the ring of skin that was peeling back.

He began to slide very easily out of his skin as I held it while he moved through my fingers. The whole other half of his shed came off in one whole (half, lol) piece! He looks so shinny and fresh, he ate and he's gooooooooooooooood.

Successful 1st shed :)

Yay for shedding! :cheers:

Changed Sneak's water and checked on her tonight. As I suspected, she's in blue! We hadn't seen that yet, so that was cool. But put her back before too long. Tonight would have been feeding time, but I'll hold off until she sheds just in case.

I misted her tank a bit after changing her water to help with her shed. She drank droplets off the side of the tank (Cute!!), and we also got to watch her gulp quite a bit of water from her bowl. Fun! :)

So, anyone know how much their eyesight is compromised when they're in blue? I'm guessing they're not completely blind, but I found it fascinating to watch her move around because she seems so much more cautious when she moves. Definitely looks like she's finding her way more by touch.

I'm no pro, but I've read that it is reduced significantly and can make them more on edge. Mine got foggy eyes first for 2 days, then blue eyes for 1 maybe two days then completely cleared and became a liiiiittle more active for four days.

Based on forum recommendations, I let him chill from the moment he began till he shed yesterday. He was crawling all over me yesterday, lol, much more active then - worth the wait.

Back