CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Somewhat new member/Having issues with members

Old 11-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
CornyApollo
Exclamation Somewhat new member/Having issues with members

It may just be me, but I've noticed when posting inquiries in the forums that many members seem hostile or condescending. I belong to other forums such as beardeddragon.org, where members are nice and explanatory. I understand most members are breeders or have had cornsnakes for awhile, but it makes it harder for new owners to feel comfortable posting questions. I have posted several threads inquiring about certain things so that I can give Apollo the best care possible, yet it seems I'm annoying others with my amateur questions.

I am in no way saying that members are excessively rude, I would just like to express my concern.

Thank you.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
Illidan
Honestly? I thought something similar. It just happens when people are passionate, I figure.
Being part of the minority here sucks though, I noticed.

I don't post much due to being mocked and such.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Illidan
--oh man, I should have clarified, I wasn't very sensitive when I posted before though, so I was sort of asking for it.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #4
CornyApollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illidan View Post
Honestly? I thought something similar. It just happens when people are passionate, I figure.
Being part of the minority here sucks though, I noticed.

I don't post much due to being mocked and such.
Eh. I understand. I was actually thinking about doing the same, but no one has been too rude yet. I know there must be nice members somewhere. But like you said, I guess it happens when people are passionate. I'm glad I'm not the only one...I thought I was being too sensitive.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Buzzard
I think some members have expectations. They expect people to research about there corns and do searches about questions before they ask them.

Yes I agree, some do "seem" agressive when answering questions, but also remember your reading words without hearing the tone of voice being expressed. Thats why some people often put things like lol, !!!!, , ect... in there posts. Don't always think that someone is being rude when they anwser your question without the expressions, because often they are just giving you a straight anwser. You will find, for the most part, 99% of the posters on this forum are good peeps.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Holly12
Sometimes I can be very sensitive when it comes to pepole on forums but sometimes I might think they are being mean to me when I ask something. So your not alone in this I know how you feel.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
CornyApollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I think some members have expectations. They expect people to research about there corns and do searches about questions before they ask them.

Yes I agree, some do "seem" agressive when answering questions, but also remember your reading words without hearing the tone of voice being expressed. Thats why some people often put things like lol, !!!!, , ect... in there posts. Don't always think that someone is being rude when they anwser your question without the expressions, because often they are just giving you a straight anwser. You will find, for the most part, 99% of the posters on this forum are good peeps.
Very good advice. I always try to ask questions that I've had difficulty finding the answer to, but I'm sure to an experienced corn keeper it seems easy. I'll try to keep in mind that they're just straight answers. I suppose I'm just used to overly talkative herp keepers on other forums. Thanks very much!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
CornyApollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly12 View Post
Sometimes I can be very sensitive when it comes to pepole on forums but sometimes I might think they are being mean to me when I ask something. So your not alone in this I know how you feel.
Thanks.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #9
AliCat37
I think overall the members on here are a lot friendlier than other forums. I've been on the ball python forum a few times to ask questions and all I ever feel like is that I am getting snapped at. It's the same with the frilled dragon forum, the administrator is very sweet and easy to talk to, but another member flips out at the tiniest thing and tells members that they are going to kill their lizards if they don't take care of it exactly the way she says. I can see how people on here can sound snappy, but it is far less than I've experienced elsewhere. I think I personally get frustrated when someone new comes along and states they are taking care of their corn this way or that, and I make suggestions and they get defensive. Many of us have been keeping corns a long time (while I'm only 3 years into the hobby I think I can at least explain the basic care of corns and know what corns are healthy or not), and I think some members are mildly offended when a new person comes in and refuses to take advice when they have come to us seeking answers. So yeah, I can see how people can take things the wrong way though I'm sure the people on the ball python forum are not trying to sound snappy, and I am sure I get defensive, but I will take their advice into consideration even if I may not want to- after all, the snakes come first

Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
Susan
I just read all the threads you have created or posted in and I can't find a single instance that, IMO, warrants this thread. Everyone answered your questions in a normal and decent manner and no one was condescending or in the slightest bit hostile.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google