CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New member and baby corn snake! (Pic heavy)

Old 07-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
Jtmatsumoto
New member and baby corn snake! (Pic heavy)

Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to being a member on this forum!!

Today I brought home an Amelanistic corn snake!!

Here's a pic of it's terrarium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
jaymillz
Welcome and beautiful corn.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
MysticExotics
Welcome and pretty little Amel!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
hypnoctopus
Ooh, I think she'll be a bright adult. Pretty baby and nice setup.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymillz View Post
Welcome and beautiful corn.

Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Welcome and pretty little Amel!

Thank you!! I'm really glad I found an awesome forum for corn snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Ooh, I think she'll be a bright adult. Pretty baby and nice setup.

Thank you!! I do have one question you might be able to help with. I've read on a couple care sheets the best temps for the warm side of the terrarium should be around 80-85. I currently have an UTH and an OT 60w bulb but my temp on the warm side is around 91. The cold side seems fine ranging from 75-80. I'm worried not enough light will get into the enclosure without the OT. Should I turn the UTH off unless it's digesting?

Old 07-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #6
hypnoctopus
I don't think you need both. Corn snakes are crepuscular, meaning that they're active in the early morning and evening, so in nature they wouldn't generally be out mid-day. It seems like with both of your heating sources, your warm side is a bit too warm anyway, so I'd probably turn off the light, and maybe only use it if you have a particularly cold day. I also worry that constant light might be bad for albino eyes. Your snake should get enough natural light just by being in your house.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
Phruit Dish
Is there a thermostat for the UTH? Also, are you using thermometers with probes, or are they stuck on to the tank surface? I'm looking at your last pic, which brings these questions to mind.

If your home gets really cold in winter (60ish or lower), you might think of supplementing the UTH with a low-wattage bulb to add ambient heat. Other than that, I'd stick to using the UTH alone, regulated by a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot.

I love your little amel. What's his/her name?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I don't think you need both. Corn snakes are crepuscular, meaning that they're active in the early morning and evening, so in nature they wouldn't generally be out mid-day. It seems like with both of your heating sources, your warm side is a bit too warm anyway, so I'd probably turn off the light, and maybe only use it if you have a particularly cold day. I also worry that constant light might be bad for albino eyes. Your snake should get enough natural light just by being in your house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phruit Dish View Post
Is there a thermostat for the UTH? Also, are you using thermometers with probes, or are they stuck on to the tank surface? I'm looking at your last pic, which brings these questions to mind.

If your home gets really cold in winter (60ish or lower), you might think of supplementing the UTH with a low-wattage bulb to add ambient heat. Other than that, I'd stick to using the UTH alone, regulated by a thermostat to keep it from getting too hot.

I love your little amel. What's his/her name?

Thank you both so much for the help!! I don't have a thermostat for the UTH yet but it is a smaller one and has felt too hot. I live in a basement and have my snake down there with me so it gets extremely cold in the winter (I'm also from Colorado so snow and all that jazz). Also there isn't any natural light. The thermometers are also just the stick ones. I plan on getting probe ones with my next paycheck.

Thank you for the help! I'm pretty in love with my little fella. I'm not sure if it's a make or female yet so I'm holding off on the name till I can get it probed.

Before I went to work this morning I left the UTH on and raised my lamp off the screen. The temp was 81 when I left and now it's sitting at 80. Cold side has been at 75 and humidity a constant 40%.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Amanda47
Your hands are enormous!

I want another baby snake, they're so cute and small. Love the colors on your little one!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Jtmatsumoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda47 View Post
Your hands are enormous!

I want another baby snake, they're so cute and small. Love the colors on your little one!

Haha right!? When I held it before putting it in it's enclosure I felt like I was going to crush the little one!

Thank you! I hope its colors turn out great as it matures!! (:

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google